Put a Headlight and Taillight on my MTD

So ever since I got my MTD Trail Flite I have been toying with the idea of putting lights on it. The headlight brackets had been bent back flat and looked kinda crappy. Wasn’t even sure if the bracket for the taillight would even work. Bike had no lights when I got it.

Was looking around blackwidowmotorsports and noticed that they sell Rupp headlight and taillight.
So I bit the bullet and purchased both.
Received them both, and after hooking them up to a battery to make sure they work, I set about to fit them to the bike.
Bending the headlight brackets back straight was tricky but was able to do it and fit the light. Totally changes the look of the bike. This light has no switch at the top so I will likely install one at some point.
Taillight bracket was there but 2 old rusty bolts with square nuts holding it on. Removed one, the other snapped.
Installed the taillight and it looks pretty good. Also has the clear bottom for license plate light.
Lights are not wired up yet since I don’t have a lighting coil or the right flywheel but I am looking for those now.
No pics yet since I have to leave the house for the rest of the day but I will post them up later.

So if anyone is wondering, the Rupp head and tail will physically fit an MTD Trail Flite without too much trouble. At first I thought the Rupp headlight looked too big for the bike, but now looking at pics of other Trail Flites it seems fine.

Just a suggestion, make sure you have a voltage regulator and or a full wave rectifier installed. Some bulbs will run on AC,but will have a much longer life if run on DC.
A voltage regulator will prevent the filaments from sagging and opening due to the uncontrolled AC voltage being generated at high RPM's.
Your lights will go dim/bright with engine speed either way.
A small sealed lead acid battery will really make a nice steady light source and the Alternator can charge the battery through a rectifier.
These parts can be bought as a complete sealed device for $$ or as individual devices for next to nothing.
Are your bulbs 6 or 12 volt?
I just installed a dual coil 12 volt system on my bike to charge my cell phone to run a moving map as I ride along and the phone is in roaming.
I found a voltage regulator and buck down transformer/ rectifier board the size of a pack of Juicy Fruit Gum with too high,too low voltage protection circuits and a constant 5 VDC output that is adjustable It cost $2.75 delivered. Very easy to wire up and mount in a home made water proof enclosure.
You can mount it under the seat or gas tank.

Thank you Rapidrob for the advice!
Bulbs I have (1) 6v and (1) 12v bulb for the headlight.
Since I don’t go on long night rides very often, I was thinking about just running a small battery like you said, and just charging it up every so often. Lots cheaper and easier than lighting coil etc.

The way you did it is prob how I would like to do it, with an alt coil that charges a battery.

I can help you with instructions, it really is easy to do. I would do the "duel-coil" set up for 12 volts at normal running speed. ( will go to 16 volts or higher at max speed) that is why you need a voltage regulator.
If you decide to forgo the whole thing, install LED bulbs in both lights and run a small sealed lead acid batter or even better a LIPO battery for a RC toy car or plane. You'd get hours of "run time".

Head and taillight look too new for the bike lol but I’m sure they will blend in over time.
Looks like charging coil and flywheel are over $200 which seems kind of steep, but I guess they aren’t making any more of them lol. I am undecided whether to go this route VS just using a small battery.
On one hand the battery is cheaper and simpler but not finding a good place to mount the battery on this bike.
Charging coil is hidden so no battery box or mounting but $$$
Going to mull this over.

Anyone know what these bikes used for a brake light switch?
Thanks

I can help you with instructions, it really is easy to do. I would do the "duel-coil" set up for 12 volts at normal running speed. ( will go to 16 volts or higher at max speed) that is why you need a voltage regulator.
If you decide to forgo the whole thing, install LED bulbs in both lights and run a small sealed lead acid batter or even better a LIPO battery for a RC toy car or plane. You'd get hours of "run time".
I remember reading your thread on the issue, I’ll revisit the thread and see what I can learn from that
Thanks for the help I appreciate it!

Check Ebay often. You can find the charging coils there for far less than 200 bucks. I got mine two weeks ago for 60 bucks with the flywheel and delivery.
You have a large seat on your bike, an easy place to hide the battery or electronics. Think cell phone auxiliary batteries, very flat and very powerful.

I use these ebay LI-ion batteries with the led bulbs. Last a long time and come with a charger and a on off switch on the battery pack.
Wow that is really compact!
How hard is it to swap to LED bulbs? Would that battery be able to run 12v incandescent bulbs or would that not work?
Thanks for that I will def look into it!
I like how using a battery would mean lights would stay the same brightness no matter what.

Last edited:
Check Ebay often. You can find the charging coils there for far less than 200 bucks. I got mine two weeks ago for 60 bucks with the flywheel and delivery.
You have a large seat on your bike, an easy place to hide the battery or electronics. Think cell phone auxiliary batteries, very flat and very powerful.
Never thought of hiding it under the seat what a great idea!
There is a coil and flywheel on eBay now, auction starts at $200 ouch
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335845805&icep_item=202708210109

Until you find the bargain charger, buy some of the strong VELCRO and make a "plus-sign" of four or better yet six straps under the seat. I would use wood screws with flat washers to support the VELCRO straps. I have done this in the past and the battery never came loose and all I do is off-road riding.
VELCRO your battery to the bottom of the seat. Easy on/off for charging and will not fall off. The VELCRO also absorbs shocks and keeps the battery from banging on the bottom of the seat after hitting a bump.
Today's batteries are water proof ( they have to be if they have Lithium in them) and can take some very violent shocks.
Will the battery light a standard 12 volt bulb,yes but the battery will drain 60% faster than a LED bulb. Depending on the Amp Hour rating of the battery you buy and the Amp draw of both bulbs will determine how long your battery will last at night.
Just make sure your battery will produce at least 11.50 volts under load or the output will be dimmer than you want.
There are so many vids on batteries you should have no problem finding a decent battery that will work for at least two hours or even more for your night time rides.

You can find led bulbs on ebay from china that will fit your bulbs very cheap. you can get the taillight bulb at autozone as well but a lot more expensive. There are numerous threads on OldMiniBikes forum on the led conversion.

You can find led bulbs on ebay from china that will fit your bulbs very cheap. you can get the taillight bulb at autozone as well but a lot more expensive. There are numerous threads on OldMiniBikes forum on the led conversion.
Thank you
I would rather not cut up my brand new headlight to put an LED bulb in it so was looking for plug and play.
I’ll look into it. I almost never ride in the dark so there’s no rush I’ll do some research first and see which direction to go.