Put taller handlebars on Murray Track2

Decided to spend a little time on the Murray. Put on new handlebars, a good 5" taller in the hand grip area. Required longer brake and throttle cables, particularly the casing (I could replace just the cable itself with a longer one, but the outer plenum would still be too short). Picked up a new throttle assembly that arrived 3" shorter than advertised, and just made it to the carb. Used a portion of the old throttle cable casing to add to the brake and bought a new cable at the local bike shop. Replaced the brake band with a new one while I was there. All in the upgrades cost about $60.
The handlebars were cheap $21, and the grooves for the clamp down are a little off and on one side the groves are not very good, so ultimately may have to change them, but lets see how the clamps hold.

Murray_handlebars_before.JPG
Murray_handlebars_after.jpg

delray

looks a lot better with the taller handle bars. how does it handle when getting on the gas hard. can you keep the front end down ok. just that sometimes with a strong motor and taller handle bars can change how your weight leans into it. especially on a short wheel base bike.

Did the work in the basement, haven't had a helper to haul it out of the cellar, so I will have to report back on that. I do know that with the 212 engine the thing has serious torque, to the extent that it will throw you off the bike if you don't respect it. I learned to get it rolling before getting on the throttle!
Regardless, the short handlebars really had to go.

Finally had the opportunity to ride the Murray with the taller bars. Yes, it is definitely even more wheelie prone if you get on the throttle (which makes sense). So much nicer ride though, especially on tighter turns where the handlebar end isn't hitting your knee!

the bars are 5-6" taller in the hand grip area. it varies because the angle of the new bars is "up and out" whereas the original bars are "down and in". so not only are they taller, but the angle is different and more comfortable.
the minibike was designed for kids in the first place, right? so the style of handlebars they put on them made sense.

handlebars_comparison.JPG

Latent

I think I have the same handle bars coming from amazon, but in black. @JackBronson

Did you purchase these handlebars from amazon?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AO9OLW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Could you measure the bottom of the handlebars where the risers are suppose to clamp onto before any bends - Like how many inches is straight I'm trying to figure out if my spacing is correct. The spacing is about 4.5" from clamp to clamp on my front forks right now just waiting for the part to come in. Got the handlebar clamps before my handlebars so just estimated.

Latent

the bars are 5-6" taller in the hand grip area. it varies because the angle of the new bars is "up and out" whereas the original bars are "down and in". so not only are they taller, but the angle is different and more comfortable.
the minibike was designed for kids in the first place, right? so the style of handlebars they put on them made sense.

View attachment 253205

This is the specific measurement I am looking for. Hopefully you can help, thanks regardless.

handlebars.jpg

Latent

yes those are the same bars I bought. the distance before ANY bend is just over 3.5", meaning the absolute flat straight section.
Dang I'm cutting it close from the end of my clamp to the end of the other clamp its exactly 3 3/4 inches lol.. hopefully they fit or will have to file it down to get it right... real pain to drill through the triple tees

DaddyJohn

The handlebars were cheap $21, and the grooves for the clamp down are a little off and on one side the groves are not very good, so ultimately may have to change them, but lets see how the clamps hold.
You can always dimple the bars in the area under the handlebar clamps with a punch to give it some grab.