question....motorcycle tag/ lost title service

i think they basically give you all the info you need to do this yourself on their webpage,without paying 200 bucks...
they also make you do all the legwork ( paperwork ) you would have to do Anyways...:shrug:
sure seems like you could do this yourself..?
i highlighted a few parts..

BEFORE CONTACTING US:
Make sure that the vehicle is not currently titled in your state. Best vehicle history search we found is Auto Data Direct. Only costs $4.95 and will give you a full report of the vehicle. Most importantly it will tell you if there is already a title in your state, as well if there is a lien listed.

>>>> Vehicles with less than 17 digit VIN will not pull history from online searches. In this case it is best to call your DMV and ask.

Some states have this service online. To do a more thorough search please use your states record search if possible. NICB provides a list of available states here. If there is no record with your state's DMV, then we are clear to move forward. If there is a current title on file in your state, please contact us for more options.

A free stolen vehicle VIN check also be found on the NICB website. This will only tell you if the vehicle is listed as stolen and or if it was deemed as a total loss and was sold as salvage. It is always best to double check with your DMV directly if no information is found.

I'm not too keen on handing over a bill of sale & giving anyone power of attorney over my property.

Call me a weirdo, but it sounds like a great way of legally getting free bikes.

If you know anyone in NH. They can dummy up a bill of sale and walk in and out of their local DMV in about 10 minute and it will be registered. Then you can title it with that registration and a bill of sale in your state.

Itype2slo

Yes. There are companies that will come to you verify frame and engine serial numbers all needed info and do all the dmv work for you. It is pricey but if it's an out of state registration or just a bill of sale, maybe the bikes not running at the time. It's well worth it i pay to stay out of the DMV.

WrenchDad

In PA. if there is an active title on the bike even if it is lost or the original owner is dead there is still an active title.(this happened to a friend he bought a bike from a guy ,transferred the titled 20 years ago and never registered it. The title had been inactive for so long that PaDMV purged the title. He had to pay $50 and file for a duplicate. If you try this and the notary runs the vin and comes back with a PA. title with some one else's name and your holding an out of state title with your name on it, It's going to get sticky real quick. A bill of sale just proves you didn't steal it from who ever you got it from. The name on the title is still the legal owner. And until that original title is transferred or taken out of service, it is still the legal title for that bike. People think you can just get an R title or salvage title. Pa wont just give you another title they wont have two valid titles in the system. If a bike changes hand 3 times but the first owner never transferred it to the next guy then legally he is still the right full owner. If the bike was never titled then your screwed it's dead unless you have the manufactures certificate of origin.

The way auto titles work is once it gets titled the old title is invalid. The problem is how hard it is to get the title. If I had a PA title but were able to get a newer title in any state then the old PA title would be invalid. Why PA is different with motorcycle titles I can't imagine because it is just a motorized vehicle. But what do I know. But I can tell you after 24 years in the auto wholesale business and filling out a conservative 50,000 titles that is how it works in Mass and at every Auction in the country which uses Autocheck and Carfax only to make sure the title you turn in is the "last" title issued. Now if there is a lien on a title that is a different story.

mb165 I can help.

I can take a bill of sale with the vin and walk out with a title.
that will work as long as,
theres no other title On File....:facepalm:
thats why he needs to do the legwork on this first..
otherwise,hes gonna look really fishy standing in the Maryland DMV with a title from mich and theres still a title from maryland floating around....

pretty much reiterating what Wrenchdad said up there..

that will work as long as,
theres no other title On File....:facepalm:
thats why he needs to do the legwork on this first..
otherwise,hes gonna look really fishy standing in the Maryland DMV with a title from mich and theres still a title from maryland floating around....

pretty much reiterating what Wrenchdad said up there..
It wont matter state of michigan will not now of any other title.
I've bought motorcycles all over and never had an issue.

WrenchDad

If I had a PA title but were able to get a newer title in any state then the old PA title would be invalid. That is correct As a transfer and like you said How hard is it it to obtain the original title. The OP said he doesnt have one . Now if that means the bike was never titled than yes he can easily title it in another state. If he means he doesnt have the current active title then that is another story. Some states may not care about the original title but just issuing a new title in another state with out haveing the lost or missing title wouldnt work in Pa. Guys drive around and want to buy your old beater for scrap and say just sign the title and write void and It will become a salvage title once I get to the scrap yard. The problem with that is I dont have the power to change the condition of the title and leagaly unless scrap guy pays to have it transfered to him it still legally belongs to me. If the guy at the salvage yard (who is required to send in the title )over looks that then yeah he can get away with it. If the car falls off the trailer and hits some one or any thing else happens (he puts it on the road with out proper tags,title and reg. )it still belongs to me because he didnt transfer it. ONce the salvage guy turns in the title as salvage the current clear title is taken out of the system (now one title exist) They wont take a car with out a title at the scrap yard (at least they are not supposed to)

I would do the research and see if a title exist and then go from there. you can get a duplicate and there are ways to legally get it transfered into your name. In Pa. it's not real easy but it can be done.

Last edited:
It wont matter state of michigan will not now of any other title.
I've bought motorcycles all over and never had an issue.
missing the point Sir.
when he goes to maryland,the state he Lives in and goes to get Your new Title you got For him Transferred to a maryland title,what will happen?
esp if theres a title anywheres in the Maryland Dmv records and hes standing there Holding a mich title going ermmm,derrr,i dunno......? :eek:ut:

thats my point.
we understand its cool of you to offer,but he should check to see what situation his original title is in first before the both of you end up in court or even worse,jail.

even worse scenario..he gets mich title fixes bike up,original owner Sees him And the former bike Now all fixed up,sneaks over takes the bike and whammo what has he got?

MB165

Thanks guys good info here.....
It came out of virginia, dont know anything else. Ill try and get a title search done on it first.

I know one thing the frame and eng. #s dont match.... if need be, ill have that frame separated and a pile o parts in twenty minutes flat.....:anon.sml:

ebay has tons of frames so im lurking for a titles one.

Last edited:
Thanks guys good info here.....
It came out of virginia, dont know anything else. Ill try and get a title search done on it first.

I know one thing the frame and eng. #s dont match.... if need be, ill have that frame separated and a pile o parts in twenty minutes flat.....:anon.sml:

ebay has tons of frames so im lurking for a titles one.
If it came out of virginia,and Not maryland,and Wasnt ever reggied in maryland,then your chances of what mipowdercoater suggests doing is almost 100% :thumbsup:

the engine not matching shouldnt be a big deal,esp with a bike.
theyll base the title off the bike vin.
speaking of,i dont want to know the vin,but is it 17 numbers or less?
lot of them say that anything less than that never got into the computers records...?