? question on torque converter vs centrifugal clutch?

I want to repair this clark cyclops. It had a jackshaft at one point with right side chain to wheel. Now it has direct chain on left side badly done. Gc160 is set to right. I would like to center the gc160 better and replace jackshaft. Thats complicated with torque converter, which is my preference. The driven unit on jackshaft doesn't appear to be reversible so gc160 has to be moved to left. Has anyone done this well or is cent clutch better choice?

shave the back of the vertor plate off at the rear driver section in the back side/nearest motor.
enough to let the gear ride and a washer and a lock.

now install the back gear on the Opposite side of the plate,where you just machined that off.

now realign motor to straight chain.

sticky points.
making sure the chain/chain gear not hitting block/carb/exhaust.
you may need to get creative.....
in my case,i put the chain on the gear as i assembled the back half driver/chain gear etc.
which allowed me to get the chain on no problems.

Last edited:
Most of images that I am seeing show torque converters with fixed pulley edge inboard. I would like to do that, using rupp style jackshaft brackets, which are 8" apart on inside. No backplate.

markus

you would want a 20 series symmetrical TC if you want to try and fit it like clark did originally (inside the frame)

20 series:

get 30 series asymmetrical TC parst if you want to go external on that frame.

30 series: