Random Mods

So this is just questions about future mods. If I am to remove the governor and install heavier valve springs (I know about installing a flywheel and rod) will I need a new piston, new valve train (push-rods, lifter, etc.) or will I be fine. I plan on using the stock cam. Also do you know what weight springs I would need and what the final RPM may be?

It all depends on the rpm you plan to run. Negative on the piston, negative on the valvetrain IF you use 18LB valve springs. Any spring heavier than 18LB really should have 3/16" pushrods, stainless valves with automotive retainers, and possibly an upgraded rocker arm. People can argue the cutoff for when to use each component but that is my conservative opinion.

Really a flywheel is a good idea so you don't shoot 6000rpm cast iron into your leg at mach 1.7. This is especially true if you are using a Predator or other China engine as their flywheels are of lesser quality. Depending on what engine you have there are options as cheap as $45.

Also, a billet conrod is required for rpms above 5500rpm. The better handle on oil level, quality, and maintenance, the longer it will last.

I just want to go fast really :laugh: . I have a Honda GX160 and its going on a go kart, not a minibike. So if I were to install 18lb springs, what RPM should I be looking at?

I just want to go fast really :laugh: . I have a Honda GX160 and its going on a go kart, not a minibike. So if I were to install 18lb springs, what RPM should I be looking at?
Just springs and governor removal...loading...loading...

4800rpm

I say that because a 160 on a gokart is going to have a hard life. A billet conrod would be the best thing for it if you need the rpms. Really you should be looking at a torque converter before governor removal so you can get the best of top speed, torque, AND engine life.

chrisr

Adding an engine with more cc sometimes yields overall better gains for mph vs. modding a smaller cc engine - there is no replacement for displacement!

I already have a torque converter. The engine spins about 4000 rpm currently
Oooohhhh...okay. In that case, I wouldn't recommend spinning too many rpms as you're not going to make much power above 4k. Also, to spin higher with a TC, you would need different garter springs/weights. If you need more top speed what you need is more HP and higher gearing.