Rare Vintage track driven mini bike of unknown origin

Here is a one of a kind to add to that mini-bike enthusiast’s collection.
Vintage mini-bike – labeled Trail Kat
This is a model of unknown origin. Upon extensive research, I have not been able to locate another one like this. The closest would be a manufacturer from the state of Washington around late 60’s called Cycl-Trac. The mini-bike was purchased a few years ago at an auction from the state of Washington near Bremerton. I am not sure if the Trail Kat name on the front is from the previous owner or from a one-off manufacturer. Not sure if this may be a prototype from that company or built by a very skilled hobbyist.
The engine is a:
Briggs and Stratton model 146432 – 6hp
Type 003501
Code 660110 (I believe this defines it as being built January 10, 1966)
Serial A28
The drive train:
Centrifugal clutch belt drive to driveshaft with large sprocket, then chain driven to a cogged style drum turning what appears to be an automobile snow tire that has had holes punched in it to align with the cogged drum. I installed new bearings on both ends of drive shaft.
I have completely disassembled the bike, cleaned, primed and painted – not professionally done and had the front graphics reproduced and replaced. The seat has also been re-upholstered.
I installed a new front tire and wheel, as it was missing when purchased from auction. Replaced both traction tensioner tires and tubes, but do still have the original Carlisle 10” (sidewalls are weather checked).
The engine was not running when received. Cleaned carburetor, installed new air cleaner, muffler, points and condenser and spark plug. The engine does run and is ride-able, but could use a good overhaul. Appears to smoke a little and has a slight noise from the crankcase.
I installed a new twist throttle and cable and does function to move the mini-bike, but could use some finer tuning.
Also have all the original parts that was removed from this project.

$2500/obo

See Youtube videos here for a journey through the overhaul and a quick test drive.

https://youtu.be/T2P2PVNnsqk

Attachments

Here is a one of a kind to add to that mini-bike enthusiast’s collection.
Vintage mini-bike – labeled Trail Kat
This is a model of unknown origin. Upon extensive research, I have not been able to locate another one like this. The closest would be a manufacturer from the state of Washington around late 60’s called Cycl-Trac. The mini-bike was purchased a few years ago at an auction from the state of Washington near Bremerton. I am not sure if the Trail Kat name on the front is from the previous owner or from a one-off manufacturer. Not sure if this may be a prototype from that company or built by a very skilled hobbyist.
The engine is a:
Briggs and Stratton model 146432 – 6hp
Type 003501
Code 660110 (I believe this defines it as being built January 10, 1966)
Serial A28
The drive train:
Centrifugal clutch belt drive to driveshaft with large sprocket, then chain driven to a cogged style drum turning what appears to be an automobile snow tire that has had holes punched in it to align with the cogged drum. I installed new bearings on both ends of drive shaft.
I have completely disassembled the bike, cleaned, primed and painted – not professionally done and had the front graphics reproduced and replaced. The seat has also been re-upholstered.
I installed a new front tire and wheel, as it was missing when purchased from auction. Replaced both traction tensioner tires and tubes, but do still have the original Carlisle 10” (sidewalls are weather checked).
The engine was not running when received. Cleaned carburetor, installed new air cleaner, muffler, points and condenser and spark plug. The engine does run and is ride-able, but could use a good overhaul. Appears to smoke a little and has a slight noise from the crankcase.
I installed a new twist throttle and cable and does function to move the mini-bike, but could use some finer tuning.
Also have all the original parts that was removed from this project.

$2500/obo

See Youtube videos here for a journey through the overhaul and a quick test drive.

https://youtu.be/T2P2PVNnsqk
Hello, I have part of a Trail Kat that looks just like yours. I was wondering if yours has a serial number on the flat part by the handle bars. Mine has 0102 stamped on there Thanks, Chris Phone Number 406-278-3985

Still have this? I think I have the original prototype of that bike! View attachment 308952
View attachment 308953
Hello, I have a part of a Trail Kat that looks similar to yours. Was wondering if yours has a serial number stamped on the flat part up by the handle bars. Mine has 0102 stamped on there. Also was wondering if there are any numbers on the clutches. Thanks, Chris Phone number 406-278-3985