Re-Chroming spoke wheels

copyman

Any suggestions on where I can send 10" spoke wheels to be re-chromed at a reasonable price? There are no chrome shops near me and would have to send them out anyway. These look too far gone (see pics) to clean. Tried rust remover and didn't do much. Any other ideas like chrome paint I see being sold, etc?
Thanks in advance
DSCF1506.jpg DSCF1503.jpg DSCF1502.jpg

It has been my experience that "Re-chromed wheels" and "reasonable price" do not belong in the same sentence. LOL! :>)
"Reasonable price" can be pretty subjective (we have discussed that before on this forum). Just what price do YOU consider to be "reasonable"? Of course you will just install NEW spokes, right?
Michael

If you are not looking for perfect chrome, scrubbing them with aluminum foil dipped in water will take all the surface rust off, and will not scratch or dull the chrome.

Triley41395

I'm not sure what it would cost to rechrome but for a comparison a friend just had a pair of handlebars for an arctic cat done and it was 125.00 and they didn't look to bad to begin with. They were done by a company in(or Close to)Dayton ohio . This is before.
Screenshot_20220721-183827_Gallery.jpg

copyman

It has been my experience that "Re-chromed wheels" and "reasonable price" do not belong in the same sentence. LOL! :>)
"Reasonable price" can be pretty subjective (we have discussed that before on this forum). Just what price do YOU consider to be "reasonable"? Of course you will just install NEW spokes, right?
Michael
I was just checking because I thought $100-$200 per 10" wheel was excessive. This was the price range I got from companies here in North Jersey ( I'm in South Jersey) which I would have to ship up North (cheaper than driving 3 hours with gas prices)

As for the spokes are you saying they can't chrome the spokes?

Last edited:

Triley41395

I was just checking because I thought $100-$200 per 10" wheel was excessive. This was the price range I got from companies here in North Jersey which I would have to ship (cheaper than driving 3 hours with gas prices)

I'm pretty sure they will want the spokes removed and charge you per spoke to rechrome. If they are available new spokes would be a much cheaper option.

Lol. I'm in the wrong business! Might look at powder coating them silver for $50 each, including the spokes.
Do they run true? (no wobble side to side or up and down). If not, you will want to true them and make sure the spokes are properly tightened (See Youtube for how to do both) BEFORE you have them powder coated. Spokes that are properly tightened have a "ring" to them when you tap them with a wrench= while loose ones will have a dull "thud". As others have already said you might be surprised how they might clean up.
Michael

I was just checking because I thought $100-$200 per 10" wheel was excessive. This was the price range I got from companies here in North Jersey ( I'm in South Jersey) which I would have to ship up North (cheaper than driving 3 hours with gas prices)

That price actually seems more than reasonable, (good) chrome plating has always been expensive but has gotten way worse lately. The "flash chrome" Fox used on those wheels was marginal at best, and doesn't hold up well over time. Most of the cost comes down to prep time, and those need a lot. You would also have to de-lace the wheels yourself, as most chrome shops won't do that. New spokes and nipples would likely be most cost effective.

Last edited:

copyman

Do they run true? (no wobble side to side or up and down). If not, you will want to true them and make sure the spokes are properly tightened (See Youtube for how to do both) BEFORE you have them powder coated. Spokes that are properly tightened have a "ring" to them when you tap them with a wrench= while loose ones will have a dull "thud". As others have already said you might be surprised how they might clean up.
Michael
Thanks for that info. When I did another Fox the wheels were bad but cleaned up nice. These are worse and already sprayed them with rust gel, brushed with nylon bristle brush then rinsed with water. They ended up worse then before!

copyman

That price actually seems more than reasonable, (good) chrome plating has always been expensive but has gotten way worse lately. The "flash chrome" Fox used on those wheels was marginal at best, and doesn't hold up well over time. Most of the cost comes down to prep time, and those need a lot. You would also have to de-lace the wheels yourself, as most chrome shops won't do that. New spokes and nipples would likely be most cost effective.
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the suggestions.

You are right about the chrome that Fox used. Seems every Fox I see the wheels are rusted bad. But have to keep in mind they are 50+ yr old wheels....

I don’t know if this is an option for you but I restored a 1965 Yamaha 80 YG1 and I was able to find Taiwan aftermarket rims & spokes for it. It was far cheaper than chroming. I bead blasted the hub assembly and it came out great. I will mention that lacing the wheels can take some patience but there are some good videos out there that can help.

Hello,
As far as the spokes and hub go, most likely they are zinc plated not chromed. back in the day they used a very hard wire material to make the spokes. When they got plated, they would have to bake them afterwards to remove the hydrogen from the wire. IF they did not, they could snap.
A company out in California makes stainless spokes to avoid the plate and bake issues. Their name is Buchanan. I had some Rupp spokes made by them a few years ago. If you knew of a company that does electro-polishing. that process makes a stainless spoke look as bright as chrome when done.
Joe

Buchanan's is located in Azusa, CA and is about 5 miles from me. They also made some Rupp spokes for my son and I about 4 years ago. They took us for a tour of their shop which is absoluely amazing what they do there. They can make ANY spoke for ANY bike. They will also lace the spokes and true your wheels if you want. (They also make spokes for car wheels as well. )
Michael

Last edited:

copyman

Quote: Hello,
As far as the spokes and hub go, most likely they are zinc plated not chromed. back in the day they used a very hard wire material to make the spokes. When they got plated, they would have to bake them afterwards to remove the hydrogen from the wire. IF they did not, they could snap.
A company out in California makes stainless spokes to avoid the plate and bake issues. Their name is Buchanan. I had some Rupp spokes made by them a few years ago. If you knew of a company that does electro-polishing. that process makes a stainless spoke look as bright as chrome when done.
Joe

Buchanan's is located in Azusa, CA and is about 5 miles from me. They also made some Rupp spokes for my son and I about 4 years ago. They took us for a tour of their shop which is absoluely amazing what they do there. They can make ANY spoke for ANY bike. They will also lace the spokes and true your wheels if you want. (They also make spokes for car wheels as well. )
Michael
Thanks to both of you for the info. Good to know.

Buchanan's Spoke & Rim is a great resource. I have had them build complete motorcycle wheels for me, and I have built my own wheels using parts purchased from this company. Now that I have discovered how easy and fun it is to bo build my own wheels I doubt that I will ever pay someone to do it for me again. You only need a couple of special tools that are easily available online and not too expensive.

Minibike wheels and motorcycle wheels are similar enough that the info translates easily. Bicycle wheels use much smaller parts and require dedicated tools. If you don't want to buy a truing stand, just mount the bare hub in the frame or fork and go from there. You really only need a stable platform to hold the hub in place while you monitor the lateral and radial runout during the build and truing processes.

While the wheels are apart, get busy with the steel or bronze wool and metal polish.

Turn to You Tube for instructional tutorials and you're in business. After viewing many, I have decided that the tutorials produced by Rocky Mountain ATV are the best.

Once you know how to do this, you'll be the most popular guy in your neighborhood.

Buchanan's Spoke & Rim

How To Lace a Motorcycle Wheel | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

How To True A Motorcycle Wheel | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

copyman

Buchanan's Spoke & Rim is a great resource. I have had them build complete motorcycle wheels for me, and I have built my own wheels using parts purchased from this company. Now that I have discovered how easy and fun it is to bo build my own wheels I doubt that I will ever pay someone to do it for me again. You only need a couple of special tools that are easily available online and not too expensive.

Minibike wheels and motorcycle wheels are similar enough that the info translates easily. Bicycle wheels use much smaller parts and require dedicated tools. If you don't want to buy a truing stand, just mount the bare hub in the frame or fork and go from there. You really only need a stable platform to hold the hub in place while you monitor the lateral and radial runout during the build and truing processes.

While the wheels are apart, get busy with the steel or bronze wool and metal polish.

Turn to You Tube for instructional tutorials and you're in business. After viewing many, I have decided that the tutorials produced by Rocky Mountain ATV are the best.

Once you know how to do this, you'll be the most popular guy in your neighborhood.

Buchanan's Spoke & Rim

How To Lace a Motorcycle Wheel | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

How To True A Motorcycle Wheel | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
Another great post with valuable information. All the information in this whole thread will not only help me but many other mini bike people. I think one of the more common and difficult things with a restore are the wheels. Not to mention perhaps the most expensive! Here where I live in Southern NJ the cost to powder coat the frame, forks, sway bar, etc (6 pieces with a Fox) is $175. To re-chome the rims could be as much as $400 for both rims! Don't get me wrong if I was a collector keeping the bike I wouldn't have a problem paying for the chrome but going to end up selling this Fox. Personally I like my bigger bikes to ride and keep, Heathkit Hilltopper, Boonie Bike, etc.

copyman

I use #OOO steel wool with pb blaster as a lube.
Not sure if that will help since I can see where the chrome is missing and is bare metal on a lot of the wheel. Like I posted I tried the rust gel, rinsed wheels with water then blew off to dry. They ended up worse then before! I had read about using aluminum foil, and other methods online but these looked really bad with rust so wanted to at least get rust off first.

Thanks for the tip and will use on future wheels