Rear Drum Brake Question

The Drum brake that came with my minibike does not grab very well at all going forward...I mean I really have to pull hard and even then it comes to a slooooow stop. Just doesnt grab well....but going backwards it grabs like a son of a gun...like with hardly any pulling effort. Could the Pads be on Backwards?

Doc1976

What brand parts are we working with? Azusa drum brakes are not very effective. But the fact yours work well in reverse is odd.

sonerenos

That’s your problem, you bought a new taco with azusa parts. The original tacos had a decent working drum brake.

Sent from my iPhone using OldMiniBikes

The Drum brake that came with my minibike does not grab very well at all going forward...I mean I really have to pull hard and even then it comes to a slooooow stop. Just doesnt grab well....but going backwards it grabs like a son of a gun...like with hardly any pulling effort. Could the Pads be on Backwards?
I would try putting the pads backwards and see if that fixes it, if it doesn't than
I would open up the drum and take a metal brush (or 500 grit sand paper) and scrape the drum surface lightly.
Do the same with the pads. This is what I did and it helped my Baja stop WAY better than it did. Don't forget to spray some isopropyl alcohol in there so the surfaces will mate better.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

The race kart guys used to run these and Bendix back in the day. It was common to have to flip the shoes around from time to time, because the leading edge of forward shoe always wore first and most. Or something to that effect. They will glaze up, especially of chain oil gets in there.

For the life of me I can't recall what the vintage kart guys were saying about a fix for this issue to mitigate having to flip the shoes over so often. (They used the brakes a lot)