Rebuild Tec H60 ??

I'm about ready to rebuild a Tec engine, 6 Hp Engine H60 75414M SER 3269D. I installed a new carb kit, but engine still is hard to start, and bogs down under load. I've rebuilt top ends in 2 stroke engines (125cc and 400cc) but never rebuilt a small engine. Where/how is the best place to start, what do I need to watch out for, does the cylinder always need to be bored out ? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. :hammer:

A) Pop the head and take a look for carbon build up. Rotate the piston down and look for any damage to cylinder walls. You can clean any carbon build up (PB blaster works well) and lap the valves without a rebuild. if you don't see any scoring, then no boring is needed--just a nice hone if you tear it down for a rebuild.

B) Access the Tecumseh L-Head service manual (it's online). It'll give you a wealth of information including bolt torque values for the head you just took off.

C) Carb settings, carb settings, carb settings. If you get it running, you'll need to tinker (figure an hour) to get the carb right and that should fix the bogging down. Make sure the carb float is set properly (it's in the manual).

D) The governor operates completely opposite "normal" governors. You adjust it using the small tab at the top of the "C" shaped arm. You might need to make an adjustment (in tiny increments).

E) If you get this engine running well, you'll be impressed with the torque it puts out. Very smooth, continuous surge.

A couple of other look fors---the last two H60s I've opened up had their governor spools in pieces. If the engine revs too freely, you might have an issue with the governor spool. Timing may be slightly off as well, check the flywheel key first.

Hope this helps. I really like this engine, btw.:laugh:

Last edited:
I'm about ready to rebuild a Tec engine, 6 Hp Engine H60 75414M SER 3269D. I installed a new carb kit, but engine still is hard to start, and bogs down under load. I've rebuilt top ends in 2 stroke engines (125cc and 400cc) but never rebuilt a small engine. Where/how is the best place to start, what do I need to watch out for, does the cylinder always need to be bored out ? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. :hammer:
Why do you feel the need to "rebuild the top end"? The symptoms you have described do not point in that direction. Any smoking? What is compression like? Is the spark plug showing any oil fouling? Investigate those areas first. Good information provided by Dr. Shop, however, I disagree with one of his statements: ""If you do not SEE any scoring then no boring is needed." While the lack of any cylinder wall scoring is GOOD (and encouraging) that alone is far from telling the whole story. The cylinder bore could still be worn oversize, out-of-round, or tapered (or all of the above), which can only be determined by precise measurements. Just trying to spare you of the effort and cost of a reboring if it is not needed.
Michael
Michael

Creia, thank you for the information. There is no smoke, the compression and look of the spark plug is comparable to another H60 I have that runs great. I rebuilt the carb with a new carb kit, messed around with the carb settings for far to long. I put a module in to replace the points and condenser, ( I did this on 2 other Tecumsehs with great success). I have run out of easy things to try. ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.