Red Dirt Bug 6.5 clone project

Been reading all the posts where OldMiniBikes members have dumped the OEM 2.8 hp motor on their Baja DB30 and dropped in the 6.5 clone mill, so I decided that I'd like to do the same.

Purchased a red DB30 from Northern Tool today. I bought it at the website price (print out the $259.99 ad from their website and they'll honor it in the store), the store price is $299.

I drove to the Salem, VA store (1 hour and 20 minute drive) after calling them yesterday to confirm that they had the doodlebugs in stock (they had 5 there). They had 3 on display already assembled. I asked the girl at the cash register if there was an assembly fee (Yes, $25). I told her I'd take one in a box (Need the $25 for the 6.5 clone from HF and installation kit from Chris Thompson). The manager walked up and told me to pick out one of the displays and he'd waive the assembly fee. Nice guy!

Brought the DB30 home, changed the oil, pumped up the air pressure in the rear tire, drilled out the muffler, backed out the throttle stop screw and loaded it up with the yellow DB30 2.8 hp w/jackshaft kit and the 2 Baja Warriors and took 'em out for a couple hours of riding.

The stock DB30 did alright, but the yellow DB30 w/jackshaft kit proved how much the jackshaft kit from ProMod helps the stock 2.8 hp motors. I notice the new red DB30 vibrates pretty much when giving it throttle (the yellow DB30 never has). We're just riding the red DB30 like it is for now until the I pick up the 6.5 clone from HF next week and the installation kit (on order) comes in the mail.

Jimmy S.

6.5 hp clone engine acquired

The 6.5 clone engine swap saga continues....

Drove down to the Winston-Salem, NC Harbor Freight (1 hour drive) and picked up the 6.5 hp Greyhound engine this morning (Sunday). I took both the $99 coupon and the 20% Off coupon with me, but would only accept the $99 one. :confused:

Due to circumstances pertaining to work schedules, softball try-outs each day this week, and an upcoming AAU basketball tournament this coming weekend (both for my 12 year old daughter), I wouldn't be able to make the HF parking lot sale and pick up the clone for the $89 price.

Gonna have our first cook out of the year this afternoon, then later load up the minis and ride for an hour or so. This will be the last time the new red DB30 will be ridden with the 2.8 motor. :sadcrying4: I'll probably pull the OEM motor Monday or Tuesday night while waiting for the 6.5 parts installation kit to come in the mail from cjtmini. The only thing I dread is the throttle cable hook up. :confused1:

Jimmy S.

Back in the saddle again....

Oh Hell yeah, the clone installation kit came today!

I jumped on it right after gettin' home form the Hell Hole I call work.

I had already removed the little 2.8 motor a couple of days back, and was ready to go. I popped the cd (rom?) in the computer, and brought the 6.5 clone motor into what we (the family and I) call the "computer room". I set the clone motor on a Rawlings ball bucket within reaching distance of the computer, and started wrenchin' while following the step-by-step instuctions.

After the motor was "prepped", I moved downstairs to the basement where the 2 Baja Warriors, the yellow DB30 w/jackshaft kit, and the little red Doodlebug roller was waiting. Dropped in the motor, shortened the chain, tightened the bolts in the mounting plate/motor, hooked up the throttle cable, connected the kill switch, added oil/gas and rolled it outside and fired it up (fired on 2nd pull).

I haven't gotten to ride it yet because it's raining like a cow pissin' on a flat rock tonight, so maybe tomorrow (weather permitting).

Hats off to cjtmini for the installation kit which made the whole thing so easy, and to all fellow mini bike riders who have posted on this website for making the clone engine swap a success! :thumbsup:

Clone engine swap: Final chapter

Took the red DB30 w/6.5 clone out this morning for a test run. :wink:

POWER, INSTANT THROTTLE RESPONSE, SPEED!!! :clap:

Last weekend when the red DB30 was bone stock, the 2 Warriors and the yellow Dirt Bug w/jackshaft kit would eat the little Doodlebug up. But now it is the Alfa-male mini bike. :pimp:

The little doodlebug rode a little rough at first, then I remembered to let out a little air from the rear tire from where I had aired it up last weekend so it'd go better. :oops:

After we returned home, I had to adjust the brakes so it'd slow down the little hot rod better. I also mounted the OEM chain/sprocket guard so that if my daughters ever laid the bike down, maybe it wouldn't chew their leg up.

I guess the next project will be a TAV for my Warrior (the sickness continues....). :doah:

Jimmy S.

you guys might want to consider upgrading to a hydraulic rear caliper now. they make a huge difference in stopping.
Yeah, that thought came to mind the first time I opened up the clone and came up on a sharp curve.... :scared:

I'll most likely get the hydraulic brake and possibly the clutch/chain guard from ProMod, but it'll probably be sometime in the next couple of months. I've spent a shitload of cash on these bikes already as it is. :sad:

Gonna take the bikes out tomorrow to the countryside where I was raised. Secondary side roads, lots of hills and long rides (miles). No cops around unless you call them, and maybe not even then, either. I own some land out there along with my sisters so it's not like people will be complaining that some strangers are ridin' mini bikes on the roads.

Let you know if my theory turns out to be unsound.... :surrender:

Jimmy S.

Loaded up the bikes, and headed out to the country.

Long stretches of riding on secondary roads, 4 or 5 mile round trips. The Warriors did great as usual, and the red DB30 w/6.5 clone was trouble free and could smoke the Warriors.

The little yellow Dirt Bug w/jackshaft kit had a hard time of it. Right off the bat my daughter (12 years old) picked up a long nail (more like a spike) in the (new) rear tire. We were about a mile away from the truck, so I rode back to get it and loaded up the wounded DB30.

Drove a couple of miles to a local store and picked up a tubeless tire plug kit, pulled the nail out, and plugged the hole. Well, come to find out there was a hole in the sidewall as well. After plugging BOTH holes and inflating the tire, we were back in business.

There are some steep hills out there, and the little yellow Dirt Bug with the jackshaft kit had pulled them before, but after riding an hour or two, the little feller started gettin' weak and oil started leaking from the air filter. No, there wasn't too much oil in the motor to start with. I'm guessing that it was just strainin' the piss out of the little 2.8 hp motor keepin' up with those 6.5 clone motors over those long distance rides.

I'm gonna clean the little Dirt Bug up, check the oil & clutch, and we'll ride it here around home where we usually do and see what needs to be done.

I have an extra 2.8 motor off the red Doodle Bug that I just installed the 6.5 clone in. If the OEM 2.8 has shot it's wad, I could take the jackshaft kit off of it and put it on the spare 2.8 mill.

Or maybe just say the Hell with it, pick up another 6.5 from HF and drop it in the yellow Dirt Bug.

Anybody got the link for the $99 HF clone coupon? I'm thinkin' that it was good through March 24th.

Jimmy S.

Yellow Dirt Bug on rack....

This is my 6.5 clone Doodle Bug. There are many like it, but this one is mine (ours)....**

The little yellow Dirt Bug is up on the rack for the time being. Later this afternoon I went down to the basement where I keep the mini bikes to check out the yellow DB30 after the tough day the little fella had, and the rear tire with the two plugs from the nail was sittin' on the rim.

I guess while the little yellow mini bike was strugglin' to keep up with his 2 Warrior big brothers and the red Doodle Bug on steroids, his back tire was probably half flat and he was doing the best he could (Bless his little heart). :sadcrying4:

So I put it up on the rack (so-to-speak) and pulled the rear tire/wheel. The local Tractor Supply is 2 miles from my house. Two weeks ago they had three 145/70-6 knobby tires in stock. Of course today they didn't have any. So they put in an order for 3 more with my name on one of the tires (no shipping charge).

We're down to 3 riders now, anyhow. The oldest girl was home from college on Spring Break this week (No Ft. Lauderdale and "Girls Gone Wild" dvd for her!), and has now gone back to school (Along with her deadbeat boyfriend). Looks like the 12 year old daughter can ride the red DB30 w/clone until her tire comes in. She probably won't be satisfied with the 2.8 hp engine w/jackshaft kit after ridin' the red Doodle Bug with all that clone power. :sad:

Jimmy S.

**With respect to the USMC and the movie "Full Metal Jacket".