Reliable torque converter for Baja MB200 GC

I would call my project a Frankenstien or Zombie Baja MB200 GC. After 2 quarts of mineral spirits and a week of cleaning off an adolescent paint job I have a very pristine and like new Baja MB200 rolling chassis. The tires of which still have full whiskers on them. The original engine has been replaced with a HF 69730 R210-111 non hemi engine.

I have been researching the web for a torque converter drive system. I have found that there are TAV2s, TC2s and clones. I no longer have a mig welder but I can do grinding, forging and drill holes.

My question is what currently available TC system would be the easiest installation and not leave me stranded 40 miles from the nearest road?

Any comment or suggestion you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

'drif

I would call my project a Frankenstien or Zombie Baja MB200 GC. After 2 quarts of mineral spirits and a week of cleaning off an adolescent paint job I have a very pristine and like new Baja MB200 rolling chassis. The tires of which still have full whiskers on them. The original engine has been replaced with a HF 69730 R210-111 non hemi engine.

I have been researching the web for a torque converter drive system. I have found that there are TAV2s, TC2s and clones. I no longer have a mig welder but I can do grinding, forging and drill holes.

My question is what currently available TC system would be the easiest installation and not leave me stranded 40 miles from the nearest road?

Any comment or suggestion you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

'drif
So tav 2 is the best torque converter as of now?

There is a few different posts on how the tav2 needs to be modified to fit you frame as well as the rear fender support needs to be tweaked.

Tav2 clone
GO KART TORQUE CONVERTER KIT CLUTCH 3/4" COMET TAV2 30-75 218353A 12T #35 10T 41 | eBay

Search for tav on mb200
https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2597244
Thanks chrisr

I've looked at the clones on ebay and viewed a few of the Utube videos. I've always followed the credence of "don't modify the system to fit the part but modify the part to fit the system". So I take it that the TAVs and clones will require modifying the frame of the MB200.:sad:

What about the TC2? Is it a drop in and bolt up conversion? Anyone have experience with this unit?

Thanks again chrisr for sharing your knowledge.

'drif

noseoil

Here's the cut you would make to install a clone TC on a clone motor & a Warrior. Mine works well & seems pretty reliable so far. Belt is wearing evenly, it pulls well & no problems at all on the installation, setup or running. For an inexpensive option it's good.

Tav-Cut.jpg

Thanks noseoil. That looks like a mod I could do and live with. Do you think that all the clones are made by the same outfit? The huge difference in the prices would indicate NO. But they all seem to look the same...at least the pictures I've looked at.

Thanks again.

'drif

My buddies baja warrior with a tav and mikuni carb does 55mph. Buy some extra belts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Reading that sent chills down my back. I was on my Rokon blazing along at about 15 MPH across the desert and my leg slapped a cholla cactus plant. The Levis's I was wearing was instantly stapled to the side of my leg with 2" long needles. Took about 3 weeks to recover from that. I cant imagine what it would have been like to have that happen at 55 MPH.:death:

noseoil

Not sure about the different types of clones, they are all similar but maybe not the same. To bolt onto the Hemi Predator like I mounted for mine, you will need the 5/16-24 X 1" grade 5 bolts at the engine side & a 5/16"X24 2 1/2" for the engine shaft. I used a grade 8 on the motor crankshaft, but I'm not sure it's really necessary. The bolts in the kit are metric (typically) & the motor will need standard fine thread bolts. Just the way it is on these things....

Tav-clear.JPG

FOMOGO and noseoil. Thanks for the info on the bolts noseoil. I'm leaning to ordering the one FOMOGO suggested from OldMiniBikes along with the Comet belt. My resurrection project is cleaned up and just waiting for a gasket to start the engine up.

Your suggestions are much appreciated.

'drif