Removing governor on your engine and OldMiniBikes !!! Please read !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vette66_00

Since there has been a few post about this subject lately and with a few things that have come up, I am making this post.

We, at OldMiniBikes, suggest that when removing your Governor on your 6.5 hp clone or True Honda engine (including all engines discussed on this forum), that you take precautions. By precautions it is suggested that you use proper after market parts to prevent personal injury and/or injury to others.

The use of, but not limited to, a Billet Flywheel and Billet Rod are highly suggest when using these engines for anything other than there intended use and intended RPM range by the manufacture.

All threads with questions/comments about using a stock engine with the governor removed, including modifying stock parts (fin removal..ect), without proper precautions will be LOCKED and a link will be referenced to this thread.

Anybody suggesting the use of a stock engine without proper precautions is doing so on there own accord.

NEW:

Anybody continuing to repost questions about Modifying Stock engines without proper parts will take a vacation. This includes as many ways you can say "How do you modify a stock engine" without saying it. If you are insinuating it, it is worse than coming out and saying it. This action will be a instant vacation (or Banning). Complain if you wish but we are doing this for safety and are not going to make exceptions.

This is a privately owned website so your first amendment right to freedom speech is void.

The opinions expressed by members/users of this forum do not reflect the opinions or advise of OLDMINIBIKES.com, its Owner, or its operators.

For reference if you think it does not happen please review the following.

Thank You korndog of the use of your video. Flywheel failure around 6500 rpm slightly modified stock flywheel..
[youtube]7X_kJF8t4G0[/youtube]

Thank You Edwin for the use of the pictures. Flywheel failure same engine as above video

More Pics Thanks MiniDragBike for the use of the pictures.. Flywheel failure at about 6100 rpms slightly modified stock flywheel

Here is a Tec that had a rod failure. Found by Jeep2003 in another forum. Stock engine Gov removed

I will add more as I find them.. If you have more pictures of flywheel and rod failure please pm and/or add them here. Thanks

Last edited:
ooh man those pics are gnarrly .! i may be playing with fire just asking this, but where is the govener ? i just ordered up a new carb and intake for my first build,and was going to completley remove the stock gas tank and carb is the govener contained in there somewhere??:shrug:

ooh man those pics are gnarrly .! i may be playing with fire just asking this, but where is the govener ? i just ordered up a new carb and intake for my first build,and was going to completley remove the stock gas tank and carb is the govener contained in there somewhere??:shrug:
Yes you are stepping on coals that can easily be fanned into flames again. I'll say this...if you are doing away with the stock carburetor and going with an intake and carb, which sounds like you may be going with a Tillotson or Mikuni, you would be wise and well advised to invest in a billet flywheel and connecting rod. Reason being, if you go with an aftermarket carb, your governor arm will not be hooked up anymore to that carb. Ergo, you will need to remove it and take the precautions stated above so as not to bomb your engine, or yourself. Vette if anything I have said is inappropriate, please edit as you wish.

oops

mmisterbungl connecting rod? is that the piston/crank connecting rod?

im building what i think is an arco renolds. putting in old land scaping parts to make a belt clutch out of that tire dragging brake lever . old 5 horse flat head powered

your black framed mini with blue honda motor is SWEET, by the way , what make is it??

oops

mmisterbungl connecting rod? is that the piston/crank connecting rod?

im building what i think is an arco renolds. putting in old land scaping parts to make a belt clutch out of that tire dragging brake lever . old 5 horse flat head powered

your black framed mini with blue honda motor is SWEET, by the way , what make is it??
It's a Doodlebug

For the connecting rod, you need this
6270 ARC Billet Rod

and here's the flywheel.

These parts will get your engine as close to fail proof as possible with a free-revving (ungoverned) engine. It is frowned upon here on OldMiniBikes to run without these if you remove your governor.

That old saying still stands:
There's NO replacement for displacement!

Those pictures show the facts.

Even with all the billet goodies I wouldnt hang my family jewels over an engine that isnt manufactured specifically to turn those RPM's.
(but thats just my choice)

I am however impressed with what can be done with these engines in skilled/knowledgeable hands.

So fellas if ya wanna run em stock, which with a header and air cleaner as well as a little relatively simple carb work you can have performance without doing anything else as it will breath and the more air you move the more power you can tap into. If you're gonna go high performance then follow the wisdom and advice on billet parts and by all means build en to run and run hard just be safe and smart about it. OldMiniBikes is looking out for everyone's best interest, not just their own. And the thread I authored that was locked concerning the cheater spring is no exception, I will no longer openly endorse any modification or enhancement of the governor for that reason. I PMed Vette66__00 and he set me straight in a way that made sense, it didn't hurt that he's a cool guy and was cool about explaining it. He has to be the bad guy sometimes even if some don't agree. Arguing with him as some have done concerning this whole spectrum of similar subjects is futile given he is a mod and is in communication with Hent and they make many decisions together. What they say is law here and some here would do well to remember that, hell I don't always agree with em at times but I say nothing as I have no right to do so. It will be hard not to talk about certain things but it is what it is so let's find a way to make it work!:thumbsup:

so wait how could OldMiniBikes be held responsible if one of us got hurt? its our fault for doin it:shrug:
true it's your fault, but what's to keep mommy or daddy saying, "He saw people on OldMiniBikes doing it, they condoned it, they're responsible!!" One thing leads to another, mom and dad want money to recoup their hospital expenses, etc...etc....LAWSUIT!

true it's your fault, but what's to keep mommy or daddy saying, "He saw people on OldMiniBikes doing it, they condoned it, they're responsible!!" One thing leads to another, mom and dad want money to recoup their hospital expenses, etc...etc....LAWSUIT!
All you have to do is have a disclaimer at the bottom of the page. I think it would be tough for anything to actually come back to someone posting on here. If it did, It would be tough for anyone to get any money out of it. Thats not to say nobody would try a lawsuit. Just the hassle of it would be enough of a pain.

All you have to do is have a disclaimer at the bottom of the page. I think it would be tough for anything to actually come back to someone posting on here. If it did, It would be tough for anyone to get any money out of it. Thats not to say nobody would try a lawsuit. Just the hassle of it would be enough of a pain.

Its the rules its been talked about a ton of times. Just deal with it or go start you own website dedicated to hurting yourself.

Its the rules its been talked about a ton of times. Just deal with it or go start you own website dedicated to hurting yourself.
I'm not trying to rile you guys up, I just mean I think it would probably hard for any serious lawsuit to go through. Anything can happen these days though. Pays to be be careful.

I have to say this i have had tons of 3-5 HP B&S's with no governors and they all worked fine never came apart to tell you the truth iv never seen one blow apart because it didn't have a Governor.So does this mean that B&S engines are better built and can handle more rpms, If you just take the Governor out it still kinda has a rev limiter once the valves start to float it wont rev any higher

P.S most of my B&S have billet rods and and flywheels but iv ran em hard with out em to with no problem

Status
Not open for further replies.