Removing powder coat

I figured out a quick, easy way to remove powder coating, kinda accidentally. Most powder coat is polyester and is impervious to gasoline and other solvents, and it is sorta soft and sanding and blasting won't cut it very fast like it does on paint. But it can be dissolved by acetone and and carburetor cleaner. Acetone will work, but it evaporates too quick to fully saturate the coating in one application. Carb cleaner on the other hand, doesn't evaporate quite as quick, but still has the same problem. I found that if you wrap the part in a rag, then completely saturate it with carb cleaner. Then put the whole thing inside a plastic grocery bag and wrap it tight, that keeps it from evaporating. Let it set for about 20 min. Unwrap it, and hit it with a wire brush, the coating just rolls off like peeling an onion. :thumbsup:

Your making work for me PAP...... Thanks for posting this. I do have some small pieces that I need to do as I want the natural finish on them.

On the other hand powder coat makes a good base for paint is what I have been told by more than one person in the painting business. They just scuff it, clean it and shot it with automotive paint.

Anybody have any feedback on this? I have a couple of pieces that I want to paint and I was planning to just scuff and shoot. Anybody else try this? I have seen powder coated parts that were painted and they were slick. :shrug:

Doug

We powder coat at my job and you can scuff it and shoot paint over it. But usually we just clean, scuff, and re-powder over the existing stuff like it was a base/primer. And you can do some awesome finishes with powder. Ive done tons of candy/flake/pearl stuff that people thought was painted.

There is a powder coat primer available. It's just for that purpose, primer for paint, and it sands a little easier than a gloss powder coat.
I use a lot of "re purposed" materials in my build that were originally powder coated. It's a bitch to work around that when welding things up, and I've found it easier to strip them over grinding the coating off.

whenever my powder coating guy (or me) screws up he just sand blasts the
part. not sure what media he is using but i've watched him put a coated part
in his blasting cabinet and it comes out all nice and shiny. no solvents.

whenever my powder coating guy (or me) screws up he just sand blasts the
part. not sure what media he is using but i've watched him put a coated part
in his blasting cabinet and it comes out all nice and shiny. no solvents.
I've never seen anything come out of a blast cabinet "nice and shiny"......only dull and matte. Oven cleaner might work, but I'm not into cleaning ovens, but now that you mention it, my powder coating oven could use a good scrubbin'.:laugh: I always have a case of carb cleaner on the shelf, so it is always handy.