removing powdercoating off a frame..

im in the preocess of removing the powdercoat off my db-30 and its a PAIN IN THE A$$ i wire wheeled it for an hour to get not ever 1/4 of a side done...is there any easyer way to remove it

Oldsalt

Reason #36 for not powder coating anything. I hear you can have it dipped in a hot tank. But you are right...to get it off with a wire brush you will have to have the patience of a Saint. Don't try sand blasting. Why not just paint over it? The powdercoat will sand and fill and prime OK.

Most powdercoaters have acid tanks that will dissolve the old powdercoating. I would not do any more to it and just take it as is to the powdercoater. They will take care of it for ya.

Burning off the powdercoat does work, but may warp the metal. I have used a brushburner for this, but would not recommend it.

I am stripping my DB30 frame and Jasco Speedomatic Remover is working well.

A blast booth with steel blast media!
that sucks, long slow process with home equipment, but it does work indeed

And then there's the torch method......
winner winner chicken dinner, heat it with a torch, curl it a slight bit, it will media blast off easy

Reason #36 for not powder coating anything. I hear you can have it dipped in a hot tank. But you are right...to get it off with a wire brush you will have to have the patience of a Saint. Don't try sand blasting. Why not just paint over it? The powdercoat will sand and fill and prime OK.
gimmie a break, 36 reasons to not have something coated properly?really, now its a bad thing for something to work properly and have good adhesion over time? sigh....
and dipped in a hot tank? what the heck is that gonna do?...have to be a super hot hot tank, powder cures at *375+

you were correct on one thing though.....if the powder is in good condition and has good adhesion, then yes, just scuff it and feather the edges where you got it off, paint over it, makes a great, durable basecoat

Last edited:
Most powdercoaters have acid tanks that will dissolve the old powdercoating. I would not do any more to it and just take it as is to the powdercoater. They will take care of it for ya.

Burning off the powdercoat does work, but may warp the metal. I have used a brushburner for this, but would not recommend it.

I am stripping my DB30 frame and Jasco Speedomatic Remover is working well.
I dunno, I dont know any powder coaters with a special tank.
chrome shops have acid tanks and the EPA up their butts for all the chemicals...PC guys dont have to worry with that

I have had success using a heat gun made for paint stripping, however, that was only for very limited sections. If you are doing an entire frame it would be a VERY tedious method!:shrug:
Michael

Tomas

When this topic was talked about before I tried the small propane torch and madia blast method had great results.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I stripped a powdercoated tonykart frame with the aircraft brand remover and also when the can ran out zip strip comes off just like paint does. Only problems were small pieces in the hard to get at weld joints. A hand wire brush got them.

Oldsalt

that sucks, long slow process with home equipment, but it does work indeed

winner winner chicken dinner, heat it with a torch, curl it a slight bit, it will media blast off easy

gimmie a break, 36 reasons to not have something coated properly?really, now its a bad thing for something to work properly and have good adhesion over time? sigh....
and dipped in a hot tank? what the heck is that gonna do?...have to be a super hot hot tank, powder cures at *375+

you were correct on one thing though.....if the powder is in good condition and has good adhesion, then yes, just scuff it and feather the edges where you got it off, paint over it, makes a great, durable basecoat
1. Yes it can be a bummer to have 'good adhesion over time'. If, for instance, an aluminum wheel is ever powder coated it can never be plated even if the coating is 'removed'. The plate shops will not pouch it. Remember Imron paint? Same story about it being a bear to sand or remove. They don't use that stuff much anymore.

2. There are PLENTY of reasons NOT to powdercoat. Low color selection. Can't coat over body filer or anything else. Can't paint plastic. As above, if a guy goofs it is a HELL of a lot more trouble to redo. Difficult or usually impossible to repair damage. Complicated structures with cavities that can't be cleaned can cause big problems. Vents must sometimes be drilled. Sandblasting before coating is commonly necessary and that is a substantial cost adder. Masking off areas on a part when full coverage is not desired is a bitch. Shipping the parts and getting them back can be a major hassle if no powder coater is nearby [not to mention the shipping and packaging]. Etc. & etc..

3. Seems that you are a newcomer to the "parts stripping" scene if you don't know what a 'hot tank' is. Let me assure you they do not use temperatures approaching the 375 that you mention.

ok Oldsalt
understand, when your talking powder, I know it very well. I have to say, you really should stop spreading mis-information. If you dont know something, just dont post up, easy stuff.
Not at all trying to be a butt....just trying to correct some bad information.
First off, there are a bazillion colors, shades, candies, flakes, hybrids, polyesters, tribo happy etc etc etc etc in powder, please do yourself a favor and visit some powder supplier websites and browse around. just one to gawk at Prismatic Powders then tell me the powder industry is limited in colors.
the aluminum wheel plating adhesion is another wives tale, weird story, funny stuff indeed blah blah blah.....you have already proved you know nothing about powder and its properties, so what is it you think thats in powder to stop from being stripped off and plated, pixie dust?
If a guy goofs on powder, strip it, or just wet sand it smooth and do it again, easy as pie.
complicated structures and hard to clean places also affect paint guys.
Fact is, powder is no more expensive than paint and is far more durable than paint....
yaaaaawn,
Oldsalt, I am def. not a newcomer to the scene, I am just not into the radiator repair hot tanks, I do Powder coating for a living, I am 50 years old and have a few years under my belt at it. Its an art form and a science to me, really bothers me when people spout out mis-information about something they clearly know not about.
If you want to question my experience level with powder, have a visit to my web as well, might answer some questions for you. by reading your responses, I'd guess might not.
Tx Powder Coating
Merry Christmas and hope you dont get to butt hurt, you cant be right all the time, and I still think your my hero :)

1. Yes it can be a bummer to have 'good adhesion over time'. If, for instance, an aluminum wheel is ever powder coated it can never be plated even if the coating is 'removed'. The plate shops will not pouch it. Remember Imron paint? Same story about it being a bear to sand or remove. They don't use that stuff much anymore.

2. There are PLENTY of reasons NOT to powdercoat. Low color selection. Can't coat over body filer or anything else. Can't paint plastic. As above, if a guy goofs it is a HELL of a lot more trouble to redo. Difficult or usually impossible to repair damage. Complicated structures with cavities that can't be cleaned can cause big problems. Vents must sometimes be drilled. Sandblasting before coating is commonly necessary and that is a substantial cost adder. Masking off areas on a part when full coverage is not desired is a bitch. Shipping the parts and getting them back can be a major hassle if no powder coater is nearby [not to mention the shipping and packaging]. Etc. & etc..

3. Seems that you are a newcomer to the "parts stripping" scene if you don't know what a 'hot tank' is. Let me assure you they do not use temperatures approaching the 375 that you mention.

Last edited:
Previous posted by Oldsalt, in part: "There are PLENTY of reasons NOT to powdercoat. Low color selection."
That statement is absolutely not true.:thumbdown:
While I am certainly no expert on powdercoating (I actually prefer painting on our projects) I have seen the MANY color selections available/offered at a local metal plating shop we use for our re-chroming needs. It will blow your mind!:eek: I am estimating that they had over 200 different "stock" colors available (short 12" sections of pipe on a display rack) AND told me that they are able to custom mix ANY color you want.
Lets get ACCURATE information out to our OldMiniBikes members.
Michael

I had my coater do the prep, I figure they know best. Prismatic has some badass colors for sure, I got my db done in psycho green and it looks awesome.

Oldsalt

1. You can go to any auto paint store and get an exact match for any color by a commonly used device to scan an unknown color. My last was to identify the red used by Ben Hunt on his Caper Cycles. Found what it was...a tractor color. In ten minutes I had the mixed paint and was on my way home. Try that with powder coat. You will NEVER get it right the first time. I gotta wonder about the boast of 200 colors available. Hell that would not cover all the different shades of blue that were used on autos before 1934 let alone match the spectrum now necessary.

2. I was there when powder coating became an industrial procedure and a friend at Black Light in Fresno had a complete chain line for production...seems like the late 70s or earlier. When it was available for home use at little cost for the gun we started doing it for hot rod suspension parts because it was so hard to get it done and Imron was a mess and toxic. Currently have a hobby set-up that is used occasionally...mostly black. When I was an engineer at Key Technology [manufacturing food processing equipment] I was involved with with a program involving powdercoat and another plastic coat system so that we could hopefully coat mild steel frame-work and etc. and not have to build everything out of expensive stainless steel. After a bunch of trouble it was determined that sending the assemblies out to be done was too complicated and added too much time to the production cycle. Patching damage was problematical and was one of the reasons that the effort was dropped.

3. You really believe in 'Pixie Dust"? If you are not aware of the fact that a cast aluminum wheel once powder coated will be turned away by a knowledge chrome shop it is not my fault. Last summer a close friend had to buy a second set of BMW wheels because he later needed to have chrome. Bill spent a second $2000 on wheels [for a 54 Vette with Jag suspension] and I am totally convinced it was necessary....he is extremely knowledgeable and does not throw money around.

I am still here to say that I have not 'spouted' any misinformation. Powder coat obviously has a wide spectrum of uses and applications. All I am saying is that it is NOT the next best thing since sliced bread. There are a number of negatives as with anything else. It has its place and as I mentioned earlier even Imron [jet aircraft paint] was all the rage [before powder coat] to use for EVERYTHING....then it was found that old enamel and etc. was hard to beat for a lot of things. I have heard several times on this forum some one say that they are "restoring" a minibike and in the next breath say he are going to powder coat the frame....now that is a guy that is uniformed and very possibly a victim of misinformation.

To be clear, I'm not marketing or otherwise promoting powdercoating over painting. I've got "no dog in this hunt", other than the making sure our OldMiniBikes members get accurate information. Let's keep it in the proper perspective. We are talking mini-bikes here, not custom cars. "Over 200 stock colors" is A LOT of colors to offer in my book and would more than meet the needs of the majority of our members painting mini-bikes. If not, I was told by a reputable shop that they can mix just about any CUSTOM color you want. Your curt/blunt statement of "Low color selection" can give the (incorrect) impression to members that there are hardly any colors available, which is most certainly NOT true.
Michael

Last edited: