removing rear wheel from axle.

I can't figure out how rear wheel comes off. It has a nut that is round with not square edges. I can't find a way to grab on to it cause of the deep dish wheel style. Is there a special tool I need? It's inn a mud cat trike. If needed I'll post pictures. Thanks Ken

Looks that is just a spacer. Put a nut on the exposed threads and tap the axle out with a hammer.

Make sure you dont hit the axle with your hammer.. Tighten the bolt to were the axle is just below the bolt surface. That way when you smack it.. the end of the axle doesnt mushroom out..

If you deform the end of the axle, you will find it VERY time consuming to file/retap.

HEAT is your friend.. even a small propane torch will do wonders to free up things! Just be careful not to over heat sealed bearings,dst shields are plastic and melt!

Make sure you dont hit the axle with your hammer.. Tighten the bolt to were the axle is just below the bolt surface. That way when you smack it.. the end of the axle doesnt mushroom out..

If you deform the end of the axle, you will find it VERY time consuming to file/retap.

HEAT is your friend.. even a small propane torch will do wonders to free up things! Just be careful not to over heat sealed bearings,dst shields are plastic and melt!
Ken this is awesome advice - just start slow and with the smalest hammer you have then proresivly apply more force if needed.
Try some PB blaster or penetrating fluid and the axil nut and hammer first.
Later aply heat and bigger hammer etc.

Do you have a pic of the inside of the rim where the axil come through?

It may be wise to grab an old 2x4 or long chunk of wood or an old pipe to get some leverage on the back of the rim. Be careful not to gain leverage on any parts that can be bent or mishapen easily(thin or soft metals).. find a nice stiff section of the frame to use as the pivot point on your sudo pry bar.

Some slight pressure on the back of the rim and a few taps with the hammer should have it off!

Very rarely does anything 30+ years old want to come off easily!

I just had the same problem with a cat I just bought but I wasn't trying to save the axle bolt and my little problem with taking care of with a angle grinder in 10 seconds:hack:

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Brass and Aluminum Hammers and punches are your friend as well.

They are softer than steel and tend not to mark or mushroom anything.

james c

look for an allen screw, it looks like a standard retainer with a set screw in the side. also used on minibike jackshafts