Removing vs Disconnecting Low Oil Sensor

My engine will just shut off mid ride on my mini bike. Someone told me it was probably the low oil sensor. Can i just disconnect it or do I have to remove it completely?

Twid

Does it shut down during a turn or riding up or down a hill? How is the oil level? Have you done any thing to the motor? If so what mods are done? I personally would remove it all together.

Last edited:

CarPlayLB

removal versus just unplugging depends on how involved you want to get. To remove it, which is what I do, you need to open the case. which requires a new gasket...unless of course you are one of "those guys" who reuses gaskets with a bunch of bathtub silicone! You will surprised at how big it really is! It will give you a bit more room for oil. If you do this make sure you know where the bolts came from. There are some that may be a sniff longer and won't allow complete tightening of the PTO cover. You will also need to plug the hole where the bolt/wire is. I tap mine with a 1/4" NPT tap and plug it
If you simply want to unplug it, go for it. It will be an easy, cheap, fast way to test if that is your problem. Make sure you unplug that box "thingy" too!

cxbra

I simply un-plugged mine and all has been well. The only time I would remove it is if I opened the engine up to put in a billet rod. If I opened up the engine for the rod, I would have to remove the low-oil sensor and the governor for sure.