Repairing Fuel Pick-Up Tubes

Harquebus

Briggs 4 HP 100232 series with Pulsa-jet adjustable carburetor with slide choke, part #297599.

Trying to get the fuel pick up tubes sorted. The shorter plastic one has broken off where it screws into the bottom of the carb. I'm not too worried about it as I will eventually drive out the stub and add a new tube if it is indeed threaded; can anyone confirm that the recess and the tube are both threaded?

The longer one is brass and upon disassembly I found that it had no screen on the bottom thus allowing a lot of filth into the carb. The filtered end piece is removable (part #296178 Filter-Fuel) and replaceable but I have not found any tutorial for removing and replacing this piece. It is brass as well. In the last pic a very visible crack is evident.

Any pointers for servicing these tubes, especially the latter one?

If I could find a super fine mesh material, it is conceivable that I could add it to the end piece and solder up the crack as well....

Attachments

The filter/screen end on the long pickup tube is a tight press fit. Turn the carb upside down and clamp the long tube in a vise (do not damage it!!- we use soft jaw wood inserts to protect it.), with the filter/screen end protruding above the jaws about 1/4". Then pry EVENLY from 2 opposing sides with a flat blade screwdrivers to pop the end off. Reinstall the new one with the same vice set up with a small block of wood placed under the carb to support it. Use a hammer with a small wood block (we use a broom stick cut off) to CAREFIULLY drive the new one on. Freezing the end of the metal tube with an ice cube will shrink it ever so slightly and make it easier to drive the filter/screen piece on. Use extreme caution to not drive the filter screen on too far or you will punch a hole and destroy your brand new screen! (Guess how I know!?)
The Briggs repair manual says to drive the filter screen off with a small punch which I found to be much more difficult. The technique I explained above actually came as an instruction sheet from Briggs in a NOS filter/screen part we purchased and is how I learned about it. If you are working on these old Briggs engines you really and truly should have the repair manual. I always prefer a "hardcopy" (You can get them on Ebay real cheap), however, you can download them unto your computer for free from the "Sticky" in the Briggs topic section of this forum.
Michael

It's also a good idea to measure the distance the pick up tube protrudes from the bottom of the carb, and compare that to the distance to the bottom of the tank. You'll want about 1/16" clearance.
I had a 3.5 Briggs that all of a sudden would not start, until you used starting fluid, then would die. I knew it was a fuel problem, so I tore the carb down and cleaned everything and re-installed. Still the same problem... not getting fuel. After I had it apart 3 times, I noticed the pick up screen was right against the bottom of the tank. As a matter of fact, there was a tattletale mark on the bottom of the tank. I couldn't get the tube to budge one way or another, so I don't know how the length could have changed.
I actually began to think that the tank was incorrect for that carb, because every tank that I've ever seen, has a bowl shaped depression below the pickup tube. I checked this on another 3.5 Briggs I have, and it was the same way....there is a depression, but it's not under the tube.
I ended up using a rounded end punch and making my own depression.

Harquebus

Yikes, $25 is too rich for my blood.

I have seen the half brass, half plastic version of the long pick up tube on the newer Pulsa-jet carbs (seen on one of my 5 horse 130212 series) and I briefly considered cutting the long brass tube in half on mine and adding the plastic/nylon section, assuming the diameter is identical.

Helpful info here and thank you very much. Will give this thread some closure when and if I am successful in the repair. :thumbsup: