Restoration costs

Wbcor

An example of why the restoration costs are so high.
Recent eBay sale (not me on either end)
1602957498939.jpeg
Sold. $455 + shipping.

I have all the parts now for my BC1300 build and just finished painting the frame color matched to the original Bonanza blue.
$300 alone for the paint (epoxy primer, base blend of two blues with a green tint and clear coat).
The restoration is the part I enjoy, but often maddening. I bought a nearly complete roller just to get the clutch/chain guard which will need some repairs.
Chrome will be over $1,000 but I have an extra pair of fenders and front lower forks I threw in.

I wonder if the fully restored bike will be worth as much as the parts. That said, I like bring things back from the dead and there will be one more complete and original BC1300 on the scene. Strange, but I’m not a collector (except for tools) so once I get it completely finished I’ll
probably put it up for sale (and then regret it

B2E89EA3-9327-4F40-8AF5-69FF93556A0C.jpeg

mustangfrank

View attachment 270144
Sold. $455 + shipping.

I have all the parts now for my BC1300 build and just finished painting the frame color matched to the original Bonanza blue.
$300 alone for the paint (epoxy primer, base blend of two blues with a green tint and clear coat).
The restoration is the part I enjoy, but often maddening. I bought a nearly complete roller just to get the clutch/chain guard which will need some repairs.
Chrome will be over $1,000 but I have an extra pair of fenders and front lower forks I threw in.

I wonder if the fully restored bike will be worth as much as the parts. That said, I like bring things back from the dead and there will be one more complete and original BC1300 on the scene. Strange, but I’m not a collector (except for tools) so once I get it completely finished I’ll

View attachment 270145
Watched that auction end live in a White Castle drive thru last night, could not believe it! For that much you could hand the project off to a hungry fabricator. Fiberglass repro and PVD chrome or paint it is for my project!

Wbcor

The last line in all mini bike for sale ads, I have a lot more invested in this than the asking price. And then Rupp/Taco/ Bonanza/Cat/Ruttman/Fox
Yes, pride has its costs - Don't worry I won't say $xx invested - I've seen too many of those. Besides, my wife might see it.

I was in the aviation world for a long time (and single). I asked a married friend and airplane owner how he justified the expenses to his wife. Easy, he said - he just divided every cost by 10. :D

View attachment 270144
Sold. $455 + shipping.

View attachment 270145
Would you share the color code for the paint?

Wbcor

There is not a single color-code. I did a lot of research and ultimately did a blend of the Corvette Nassau Blue and international Blue similar to the post here on OldMiniBikes. There is also a green tint added. If you study the paint carefully there in a slight turquoise coloring - very slight.

I had an excellent original fork to match it against and did 5 or 6 combinations to get it right to my eye. I'll get the ratios and post them.

Once I know I'm done for certain I'll have enough primer, base and clear for one more bike and I might package it up and offer it for sale on the forum. The other thing is that the paint isn't cheap since, ideally, you need epoxy primer, three bases (to blend to get the right color) and finally, the two-part clear coat.

I'll post the ratios, paint specs and some pics when I get a chance.

Regards,
Bill

There is not a single color-code. I did a lot of research and ultimately did a blend of the Corvette Nassau Blue and international Blue similar to the post here on OldMiniBikes. There is also a green tint added. If you study the paint carefully there in a slight turquoise coloring - very slight.

I had an excellent original fork to match it against and did 5 or 6 combinations to get it right to my eye. I'll get the ratios and post them.

Once I know I'm done for certain I'll have enough primer, base and clear for one more bike and I might package it up and offer it for sale on the forum. The other thing is that the paint isn't cheap since, ideally, you need epoxy primer, three bases (to blend to get the right color) and finally, the two-part clear coat.

I'll post the ratios, paint specs and some pics when I get a chance.

Regards,
Bill
Thank you, doing the restoration on my 68 BC1200. I’d buy the paint if you sell or some money for your formula. Know it was hard work.

Wbcor

Hi Texas21.
I'm happy to share. I started with 69h1's work that said 2/3 International Blue (dark) and 1/3 Nassau Blue (light). That came-out pretty good, but a touch dark compared to my original sample. Everyone's eye is a little different. I ended-up with 60% International Blue (dark) and 40% Nassau Blue (light) and to that I took 8% of total as the volume of added green. When you have the total mixed of the two blue's then add 8% of that volome of Green to the mix. See pics below. Caution: there seem to be two post from 69h1 where the ratios are reversed. majority dark was the match for me.
I got the green from a PPG dealer and it's OMNI PPG. I don't have a code and the description is a little illegible, but a PPG dealer would recognize it. I would say the green is optional, but I'm being very picky on the match and there is definitely a green hue which ends-up being a very slight turquoise coloring - same as the Masonic ring gem. Specifically, 1966 Corvette Nassau blue (code 976) and 1968 Corvette international blue code (978).

Just PM me if you're interested in the pint I saved. I used about 80% of a pint to paint my frame with two full base color coats, but you won't be able to waste any. I used a large high efficiency gun - a detail gun would be fine and save a lot of paint.
I can make-up the whole kit and provide the filters, primer, clear coat etc.
Bonanza Blue Dark.jpg Bonanza Blue Light .jpg Bonanza Green Tint .jpg

Regards,
Bill