Restore old sprocket

Anyone know a good method to clean this sprocket up? (steel) WD40/Brake Cleaner/Degreasers only go so far. wire disc on a drill, or a solution to let it soak in for a few days?

Last edited:
I currently have them (2 of them) soaking in home depots parts cleaner solvent in a 5 quart bucket and it seems to be brushing off after sitting for a few hours!

Yeah!

I go to the dollar store and buy the knock off (cheap) oven cleaner. It will strip grease and paint off steel and cast iron parts. It will work on aluminum but you have to watch it because it will eat the aluminum if left on it too long. If you have an anodized aluminum part it will remove the protective coat and color if it has it down to the bare base.

When I have something I want to clean like new (car, truck, tractor, lawn mower, ect) I'll tear it all down and soak it in the oven cleaner. I then pressure wash it all and normally all that is left is the deepest rust. I then media blast it. If you reuse the media it helps keeping it from getting contaminated as fast.

It is just like aircraft stripper (some mean stuff) so wear all the protective gear. I have chemical burn scars on my arms from being young, dumb, and bullet proof from the junk.

Got them cleaned! Thx guys for the input.

I ended up just using some Brake Cleaner + parts cleaner solvent (home depot) in a bucket over night, and used a nylon wire brush.

R9U2LNm.jpg

Last edited:
Mine was so chewed up from the wrong band brake and the chain falling off, I ground the face on a Blanchard surface grinder then clear coated it.

Before:
Mini Sprocket and Drum Horizontal.JPG

After:
Ground Rear Sprocket.jpg

Installed:
20160403_114434.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great.
Yet the tooth are pretty worn in the direction of pull, look at the tips they are no longer squared.
Probably one of the reason for the chain to come off.

Jaime

Turned out super nice and clean! like new!

Did you take it to a place to get resurfaced? If so how much was it?

Not everyone has a Blanchard Surface Grinder handy :)

Turned out super nice and clean! like new!

Did you take it to a place to get resurfaced? If so how much was it?

Not everyone has a Blanchard Surface Grinder handy :)
That's the thing, I do have a Blanchard grinder handy. Anyone that grinds flywheels should be able to grind it relatively cheap.

I haven't had any issues with the chain coming off in the 2 years I have been riding it. I did install a new chain when I rebuilt the bike.