Restoring and repainting fairings on motorcycle

Not exactly mini bike themed, that's why its in off topic, but I know you guys take your builds serious, and know your stuff.

I don't have a hvlp gun, or a primer gun, nor money to either acquire said tools, or pay for a pro spary. However, I am good with a rattle can....that said has anyone here had anyluck painting plastic, (ABS) and having it stay and look decent? I won't use Krylon because its just too transparent. I have primed with rust o leum auto body rattle can primer, and wet sanded to 1000 grit.

I am going to use the rust o leum truck bed coating to paint the bottom ground hugger fairings, but the rest of the bike has me worried. I used engine enamel and caliper paint to spray the engine, and gear case, and vht on the exhaust.

Any tips, trick, suggestions on paint, or anything else for a stumped poor hill billy?

SEM Paint Primer Surfacer Flat Black Aerosol 12 oz. Ea 42003 | eBay. ..i was researching this before coz i plan on painting some plastics on a mini bike in the future..this stuff says it sticks to almost anything in description and is high build ( supposed to fill scratches better).. so spray not so heavy is what i would do.i usually use denatured alchol to clean oils off before applying..sand a bit then paint with automotive paint..i am by no means a pro painter..but if done wrong it really..really sucks to redo...it's damn expensive but seems to be quality product..anyone else got any imput?!?? This opinion is just what i would do..plastics are really hard to paint

Last edited:
When I painted the plastic fenders on my build off bike, I used Valspar outdoor clear plastic primer, and over coated with single stage acrylic enamel. No problems.....

I use a heat gun to restore plastic to its original color on fenders or whatever. Works good on the black car trim too. Any oxidized plastic can be brought back fairly nice.

Etching primer won't work, an adhesion promoter primer will work for painting plastic.