Restoring My Bird Eng. Bike

I made an introduction post on one of the other threads, Ive owned this bike since I was around 15-16 and im 33 now. This is my second attempt at getting back together. The first time I did it was around 2002, then our home burned down in a forest fire in 2003. We lost almost everything, this bike was one of a handful of things that survived. Fast forward to present I've finally gotten enough of an itch to fix it up, with y'alls help I now know who made it, and even have a period Montgomery wards B&S motor to put on it.

It still has a few mysteries though, the horse head stamp on the handle bars I've still never been able to decipher. Also I finally found out it was originally green citristrip is actually decent stuff. I plan on painting it Black with silver accents to match the seat I bought. Ill try and keep my progress posted here

thanks everyone, Lucas

Attachments

did some more work yesterday. Got the motor all put together with a 6 inch tube to a muffler to keep it from heating up the oil breather tube on the carb. Got some Kwik strip in a spray can and got almost all the rust of the paint I applied in 2006ish. Although Ive run into a problem, the original paint has somehow been "baked" or something into the metal and without a 40grit sanding wheel on my drill its just not coming off at all. You can see its worst on the fenders. The clean one took me hours..... to get all that crap off.. Im considering just layering 12 coats of primer to fill the holes and scratches. My neighbor gave me some muriatic acid I might try that but don't wanna eat the metal to badly.

Attachments

Made really good progress with a sanding wheel and my drill. Most of the old "baked" on paint is coming off pretty easy, Ill try and finish it up on lunch tomorrow and take it down to our wheel and tire shop and put it in their wheel cleaner. I know the Msgt. down there and he owes me a favor or two plus C-17 wheels are big enough i should be able to put the frame and handle bars in at the same time.
Hopefully I can get it painted this next weekend bought a good filler primer and a Krylon gloss black rattle can paint to finish it off.
I still have no idea how to hook the throttle linkage up... y'all will have to help me with that. I also need to source a kick stand of some sorts

Attachments

Been super busy at work, 18th air force coming down with new criteria and stuff for our jets. I did manage to work in some time on the bike this week, got the frame 98% old paint free along with the handle bars. Even put it through a C-17 wheel washer at work to clean out any residual sanding dust or crud. She's all primed and partially painted now, handle bars are on 24 hour paint cure but its hot so we'll see one that. I still have several coats to put on the frame. Ive decided for the fenders im going to paint one silver with sparkle fleck in it and leave the other one just as it is. I sprayed some rust prevention stuff on it but as you can see from the pic it still has burnt on paint from 2003.

I did this to reminded myself of how far I've come and how far this little bike has come.
I still have no idea how to rigg up the throttle or what I need to complete that part of the process. Motor runs strong but im not sold on the air filter. IMG_2881.jpg IMG_2885.jpg

Attachments

Finally got time to work on the Wren, Paints all done on everything. Got all the fenders on, foot peg rubbers, handle bars. Im still waiting on wheel bearings to finish putting it all together.

Can someone who's familiar with 80202 engines help with the throttle set up, and I also have a question about a ground coming out of the engine that used to connect to the carb. Also for some reason I can't keep fuel from leaking out of the tank around the carb gasket its the second gasket I've had to make cause it just gets soaked then leaks out.

Another thing I still need but can't find is the spring assembly that went on the scrub brake pad, I have enough springs to hook it to the frame but looking at old photos it seems im missing some kind of other spring assembly.
IMG_2934.jpg
IMG_2935.jpg IMG_2937.jpg IMG_2939.jpg IMG_2942.jpg IMG_2943.jpg IMG_2944.jpg IMG_2945.jpg

Attachments

Got the tires on had to customize some spacers to fit everything right. Motor is mounted still gotta put the chain on and figure out the throttle linkage. Was a good 4th of july overall overhauled my late grandfathers old PROTO ratchet, and cleaned my grate uncles 1949 Remington Model 81.

So I need help with the scrub brake and the throttle set up. My scrub brakes to big and Im having trouble finding where to source another one and i don't really feel like getting smaller tires. If anyone has a pic on how they did their throttle for a 3hp B&S . IMG_2977.jpg IMG_2977.jpg IMG_2978.jpg IMG_2980.jpg IMG_2981.jpg IMG_2982.jpg IMG_2951.jpg IMG_2952.jpg IMG_2961.jpg IMG_2974.jpg

Been way to busy to update, Finally got some time the last few days to put some more stuff together. Got smaller wheels and tires, got a bigger motor in exchange for a 32 of keystone light, got everything mounted just cannot for the life of me figure out how to hook up the damn throttle. 61731622899__B344E469-F229-44D5-A56B-447DC15B8546.JPG IMG_3068.jpg IMG_3069.jpg IMG_3070.jpg

Harquebus

That new engine looks like a parts mess. Do you know its size/displacement?

If you want to bypass or disconnect the governor, I would go with the over-the-blower "racing" throttle setup that connects directly to the throttle butterfly. It's known as Briggs Throttle Kit 426774 on OldMiniBikes dot com but can be had on that popular auction site and elsewhere on the web. The kit can be used (adapted to fit) on the Pulsa-Jet *Fixed Jet* carb that you have.