Resurrection

Hey, everybody. This is my first post, and I wanted to introduce my project. I'm rebuilding my first (and only) mini bike from my childhood. To the best of my knowledge, it's a 1979 Manco Orange Crush. I've run across differing details regarding the ID, but this is what I'm sticking with. I've seen two or three others (at least one in these forums) on the interwebs, but they are certainly not as plentiful as Rupps. I've had a lot of fun working on bringing it back so far. I'm taking a pretty conservative approach to the project, keeping the original engine. I'm also pretty hit or miss with the photos, but I've included some from the initial tear down. 20210619_220436.jpg 20210709_224146.jpg 20210713_143331.jpg 20210713_231138.jpg .

mustangfrank

Hey, everybody. This is my first post, and I wanted to introduce my project. I'm rebuilding my first (and only) mini bike from my childhood. To the best of my knowledge, it's a 1979 Manco Orange Crush. I've run across differing details regarding the ID, but this is what I'm sticking with. I've seen two or three others (at least one in these forums) on the interwebs, but they are certainly not as plentiful as Rupps. I've had a lot of fun working on bringing it back so far. I'm taking a pretty conservative approach to the project, keeping the original engine. I'm also pretty hit or miss with the photos, but I've included some from the initial tear down. View attachment 285579 View attachment 285580 View attachment 285581 View attachment 285582 .
Original engine is the ONLY way to go in my opinion, I like it!

This bike and it's little brother both have identity/name issues. I don't know if Manco paid the soda pop company for naming rights but if it was sold through Sears they called it the Orange Flash.

9zzcr29iwf851.jpg 1980 Sears Minibike.JPG.jpg

Original engine is the ONLY way to go in my opinion, I like it!

This bike and it's little brother both have identity/name issues. I don't know if Manco paid the soda pop company for naming rights but if it was sold through Sears they called it the Orange Flash.
Orange Flash it is! It was definitely sold by Sears. I made sure to save the "VIN" tag from the frame before the respray.

Here are a few more progress pics. One modification I made was to lengthen the swingarm by 3". I wasn't able to find shocks that were the exact same length as original, so I added length to the swingarm to keep similar geometry. 20210905_214304.jpg 20210917_210448.jpg 20210926_151847.jpg 20210928_115217.jpg

I had one of these (orange) back in the 80's. I rode the bejessus out of it. Then I parked it at a friend's house and it got stolen. I have never seen another one in person. Looking forward to the finished build. :)

Just found one of these at a yard sale. Paid $15 as it's filthy and needs a resto.

What replacement shocks did you end up ordering? and Tires? I am looking for recommendations

sales flyer says 3.0x10 inch

Just found one of these at a yard sale. Paid $15 as it's filthy and needs a resto.

What replacement shocks did you end up ordering? and Tires? I am looking for recommendations

sales flyer says 3.0x10 inch

I had a terrible time trying to find tires that I was happy with. I found the shocks on ebay. I'll try to get links to both up here later.