Reverse three wheeler?

I just painted the Briggs 5 horse Navy blue. It should be installed and running this weekend.
I'm sure it will be dirty and well broken in before the 4th of July.
@nightgrider , I am sure the sharp edges will be identified by skin and blood and ground smooth by Daddy as instructed by Mommy after little test pilot is tended to.:rolleyes:

The engine was honed, new rings, carb rebuilt last year. I installed new seals and gaskets, ran it for about 5 minutes.
Will painted the engine last week. His first effort, and first time with a spray can. I think it's better than I would have done. I like performance, he is all about shiny and pretty. I'll learn that out of him eventually. It's almost ready. Chains are on it, brake is adjusted. We were just making some minor cockpit adjustments. Making sure he can reach the thumb throttle and hand brake lever. Those bicycle pedals are self adjusting dead pedals. That is the solution to the dilemma of different size riders. They rotate to fit the angle of the foot that is pressed against them.
Kill switch and grips should be here this weekend. I don't want to be on that thing without a way to kill it from the seat. IMG_20240628_150155.jpg IMG_20240628_150212.jpg IMG_20240628_150227.jpg IMG_20240628_150219.jpg

nightgrider

The engine was honed, new rings, carb rebuilt last year. I installed new seals and gaskets, ran it for about 5 minutes.
Will painted the engine last week. His first effort, and first time with a spray can. I think it's better than I would have done. I like performance, he is all about shiny and pretty. I'll learn that out of him eventually. It's almost ready. Chains are on it, brake is adjusted. We were just making some minor cockpit adjustments. Making sure he can reach the thumb throttle and hand brake lever. Those bicycle pedals are self adjusting dead pedals. That is the solution to the dilemma of different size riders. They rotate to fit the angle of the foot that is pressed against them.
Kill switch and grips should be here this weekend. I don't want to be on that thing without a way to kill it from the seat. View attachment 315579 View attachment 315580 View attachment 315581 View attachment 315582
Looking really good! He did a good job on painting the engine.

nightgrider

They say he is academically and intellectually gifted. Hasn't got any common sense, and has the attention span of a gnat, but he loves to get out there and turn wrenches like his Daddy.
He did do a good job painting the engine. He put paper down on the floor and sprayed away. Chattering the whole time, he had a blast!
It's good to get kids out and working with their hands. Teaches them important skills that can translate to other parts of life. Not enough of that happens these days with most kids. I know I was always going to auctions and working on lawn mowers, cars, bicycles, general house repair, yard work, etc with my dad growing up. Keep up the great work, building fun toys, and great memories.

With 10:1 gearing, a 5 horse Briggs flat head with no governor and a 12 inch tire, I think it will make rooster tails.
We are doing the geometry to estimate the MPH.
There is an adjustable throttle stop in the thumb throttle assembly. I set it at a no load speed of 3000 RPM last fall when I put the engine together. We are using 3000 as our max for speed calculations.
I think Momma Bear is worrying that we are making an 80 MPH racer or something.
I'm looking at something more like 10 MPH.

Last edited:
I fired this thing up this evening and took it out for a shakedown ride. WOW, it accelerates! the clutch brake will lock up the wheel and slide on the grass. It is a great upper body work out for an old guy like me. Will got his helmet and took it out. He was whooping and hollering like he got thrown out of an airplane. He said it might be a little too fast, but he thinks he can adjust. At about 12 MPH in the bumpy, wet yard with 7 inch tall grass, it is a total blast! I'm trying to get the pulsa jet dialed in, and it smokes a little bit, but who really cares? The kid will not shut up about how totally awesome it is! I call that a win!

I was mowing the tropical jungle this morning and I saw a shiny object in the tall grass. It was the nut from the rear axle. We both remember NOT tightening that nut because we both went searching for a wrench big enough to grab it. We will get that tightened before we take it back out today. I know the alignment is off, so I have to get that set correctly, and all of the tie rods are still loose. Tire pressures were all evenly set at 0 PSI. WE decided to try it with exactly 20 PSI. We discussed how much that will raise the center of gravity and the roll over danger. That was at breakfast with Mom. The acceleration was brisk yesterday but I was expecting a little more. I know the carb is not perfect yet, but it was more than that.
He's got Mom convinced that she needs to ride it. I hope she doesn't do like she usually does when I let her ride one of my creations. Hit a stump, drive it into the woods and flip it into the creek, calling it a dangerous POS. But, she does have to experience how slow it is before Will and I take that 20 tooth sprocket off the jackshaft and install the 14 tooth. Well, he HAS to see what a small change to the gearing will do, right?;)