Reverse Trike Pit Bike

I thought you might enjoy this or at least get a laugh. We work races for the SCCA, since we got a motor home we needed a way to get around at the tracks. I found and modified a old Manco mini bike, put a side car on it to carry me and my safety gear. My girl friend liked the Can-Am bikes, and wanted something like that. This is my attempt at building a mini reverse trike.

View attachment 39333

View attachment 39334

View attachment 39335

Still building, the first problem I ran into was getting the Ackerman steering right. I used Yerf Dog arms, spindles and shocks on the front. The tie rod attachment points had to be modified to get the ackermen steering right. I wanted to build it front steer, but had to move the tie rods to a rear steer position to get it to work right. That is why the handle bars are on backwards. I was still experimenting with the steering when the pictures were made. May have to extended the rear tire further back. Girl friend choose the seat, I have to admit it is comfy.

I started with a Azusa mini bike frame and fork set, bent and welded the rest of the front end to work with the Yerf dog parts. Those look good, I don't think we will be moving planes around. This one started as a Christmas present, the last race we worked was in Nov. and Eden had a hard time getting around the track, so she got a box full of mini bike parts for Christmas, and a promise I would have it ready by our 1st race in April. She has bad knees and has a hard time walking, and did not want to have to balance a bike. I offered to build a trike, thinking more traditional, but she wanted a Can-am type bike, so a little auto cad time and this is how it turned out.

Last edited: