riding lawnmower please help

I change the pulley on the transaxle...

Switching a stock 6" pulley to a 3" will double your speed...

And the two cheapest/easiest engine mods for lawn tractors are...

1- Install a header or straight pipe...

2- Install a less-restrictive air cleaner...

Photo is a Tecumseh/Peerless 6-speed transaxle from a Craftsman rider mower...in the shop for rebuild and fitting with a 3" pulley...to be used for a custom trike build.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!! :cursing::mad2:
DON'T DO ANYTHING BEFORE YOU READ AND ANSWER ME!!!!!! #1 What brand of lawnmower do you have????? #2 have you thought about SAFETY yet?because a stock lawnmower front axle will NOT and i repeat NOT!!!!!!! hold up to the speeds you want to go. #3 Since most stock lawnmowers are about 12-14'' off the ground, the second you turn you'll flip right over and seriously injure yourself, and you don't want that, right????????? #4 the stock lawnmower steering won't hold up one bit EITHER!!!!!! alls its going to do is skip gears when you want to turn away from an oncoming tree or house, and BANG! you fly right into it and yet again, SERIOUSLY INJURE YOURSELF!!!

And if you don't believe me, i have many scars and pictures to prove it! If you really wan't to race mowers, like i do myself, private message me and i can hel p you do it SAFELY!

sorry for all the ranting, but this is a SERIOUS subject.

I had one for 5 or 6 years without any problems, just dont be stupid with it. I knew it was top heavy and didn't take sharp turns because of it. Still fun and like I said never had any problems with my international harvester, granted it was a rear engine mower but still the same principle.

Im sure he doesn't want to go 50 or 60 MPH like the lawnmower racers do...

ok #1 i believe (this is debated alot) that the only safe stock lawnmowers to make go fast are rear engine ones, this is because they already have direct steering and decent brakes. thats why i asked what kind of mower his is. #2 i should correct myself: any stock FRONT ENGINE lawnmower front axle and steering is not strong enough, and the fastest you can go with one of those axles is about 15Mph. any faster and it will fail. and you said that he probibly wont be going 50 or 60, but with a 6 inch pulley on the front and a 3 on the back, he's going to be going about 58mph which is WAYY too fast for a stock front engine mower.

and please noone say that its "safe enough" to make a stock front engine lawnmower go any faster then 15, because you won't be saying that when your laying in your hospital bed, and because it didn't fail before, dosen't mean its not going to fail now.

Last edited:
58mph from a basically stock engine, just by changing to a 3" pulley...I'd like to see that...I can't even get half that speed when I do this conversion...

A little off topic, but when I was a kid, my neighbor took an old Turf Trac mower with the front engine, 3 speed trans, and differential type rear end and added a wide racing kart front end, lowered the seat 4", removed the tranny and put in an Yamaha 250 twin 2 stroke, and wheelie bars. It would run around 70 mph, do 0--60 faster than a '69 Z28, and even out ran the cops for a couple of miles on a winding road, before blowing a front tire. When the cops caught up all they said was " I don't know what the hell that is, but you'd better get it off the road, and keep it off ". I think maybe they were kind of steamed over getting smoked by a lawnmower.:doah:

Careful...hoppin' up that mower might lead to 'harder' substances...you may end up building tubular chassis full-size hot rods if you're not able to control yourself...

It all starts with just a mower somebody gave ya, doesn't it?...next thing ya know your whole life is about horsepower...

Ive done alot of thing to a mower... for example I lowered by installing a live axle in the back..

Cutting out the old front axle and I am currnently making a new one...

And last heres the picture of the frame as it sits...

TRN

Hey austin I have done a few of them here and there for a few guys... I use to race up there at lancaster speedway and then just got tired of driving and waiting for a couple of hours to race at midnight.... I ran alky through my motor and it was a screamer....

When I was in junior high I took a summer class at a tech center on small engines. Pretty basic stuff but one of the days we watched a movie a guy had made himself about turning a riding mower into a go-kart. The big part of his video was him flipping the chassis and making it an underslung type. It made the "lawnmower" super low to the ground. I have never been able to find the video. If I could get a hold of it though, oh man I would make one.

hmm... i don't see how it would be possible to flip a mower chassis and make it work that way...

also, you said you used to race up where i live? because last time i checked, there is now lawnmower racing associations anywhere in a 150 mile radius from me. the closest one is in albany.

SilentH.... was that movie by any chance the Madison Pro Street Mowers?? I have the video somewhere on VHS. It is about 2hrs long and he uses the early and late model Murrys. Step-by-step measurements and everything to both mowers.