RLV VS. $6 Chinese hot dog muffler.

I have a header and rejetted Tillotson PK1b carb on a predator 212 and wanted to let you know the sound difference in db of the two mufflers for those who were wondering.
Open header idle- 101 db
Open header WOT- 120 db

Hot dog idle- 95 db
Hot dog WOT- 113 db

RLV idle- 98 db
RLV WOT- 120 db

So basically the RLV is no silencer at all. Its about twice as loud as the hot dog muffler at idle. (3 db is double the noise level) and exactly as loud at WOT as no muffler at all.

Here are pictures of the mufflers. So if you are thinking of a RLV mufler, don't expect to do much noise silencing at all

Attachments

Last edited:
Pipe diameter and bends also play a significant impact. I have 2 minibikes, each has a hot dog muffer. One is very quiet with sweeping S bend and stock diameter size pipe. The other a somewhat sharp 90 degree bend with straight robertson torque tube with hot dog muffler on end of it and its ridiculously loud just like open header. But generally yes the hot dog mufflers are the quietest aftermarket you can get.

If you want to keep the hotdog muffler looking nice and rust free try The High Temp Rustoleum Primer and Paint. I have used it on three different mufflers...Haflinger, M274 (Mule) and a 3/4" made in Taiwan Hot Dog muffler. If your in a hurry this is not your paint, but if you can read and follow the directions this is good stuff.