Roadster 2 12" wheel bearings

I'm installing new wheel bearings in my Rupp. I ordered a set from Black widow Motorsports. They looked like normal wheel bearings, and not what I had taken out. So i visited a bearing shop in otder to get what I needed. He showed me that I was an idiot. The bearings I got were correct, and that they were inside a shell. I just had to pop them out of there. Unfortunately I am missing one of them.
This looks like what I took out of the wheels. The bearings press into this outer shell with the lip on it.
Capture_zpsfsarifg0.jpg

This is the bearing that pops into the shell:
4-mini-bike-go-kart-wheel-bearing-5-8-rupp-bonanza-1-3-8-od-x-5-8-id_56592_zpscfa68qse.jpg

So I've got the bearing. Just missing the outer shell. I did a search here and came up empty. I can't be the first guy to go down this road. What am I missing? Is the shell part of the hub? you have to press it out to get the bearing out.

Any help appreciated.
Joe

There is cup with a hole in the center that the bearing sits in and both go into the Hub. There is a spacer that goes in between the two bearings that the axle slides through. My experience is they are impossible to find Aftermarket.

I guess you could try that. Not sure how it would work. I have bought used hubs if they aren't too expensive just for those bearing cups. Pm me your address and I'll send you one.
Bob

Bob, that is a most generous offer. Thank you! Unless I goofed up badly, I won't be needing it though. I decided to try making my own.

Here is a wheel bearing installed correctly. The bearing is inside the up that holds it, and it is all installed in the wheel hub.

Here's the other side of the same wheel. Notice the cup is not there. I machined the one on the left and installed it with a new bearing.

I put is all together and it seems to work fine. It should be OK unless the Aluminum doesn't help up well.

Joe

Last edited:
I have put several sets of these wheels together. NONE have the cup that you show. It looks like the cup has a flange on it to keep the bearing from going it too far. The bearings I have used have a flange on them and they had a spacer between the bearings.

I have put several sets of these wheels together. NONE have the cup that you show. It looks like the cup has a flange on it to keep the bearing from going it too far. The bearings I have used have a flange on them and they had a spacer between the bearings.
What bearing did you use then? I ordered the ones from Black Widow Motorsports. They did not come with the cup.

Joe

I am going to have to look, but I think the outside dimension was metric and they pressed in very nicely....I understand Rupp used two suppliers for the 12" rims. one from Italy and one from ??? Spain?, can't remember where....The guy from BW Motorsports told me, but they were both from across the pond.

Joe that's some impressive machining. Let us know how it works out.
Thanks Bob. It pressed in just fine. Only time will tell how durable it is. I'm no machinist, so I has no idea what kind of interference fit to make. If anything, it's on the loose side. If it walks out I'll try again.

Joe