Roadster project help

I've got my Rupp roadster torn apart and getting ready to put it back together. The wheels are rough. They were originally painted silver, as you can see here. So were the tires.

IMG_20161224_160833363_zpsp6r1mzho.jpg

There was some pretty good rust under the tires, but it blasted off pretty well. I plan to cover the inside of the rim with POR or some other heavy primer.

IMG_20161227_115615461_zps33y8b0b6.jpg

Glass beading the paint off the outside of the rim revealed a lot of pitting on the chrome.

IMG_20170121_174439145_zpsl9nym2c1.jpg
IMG_20170121_174429557_zpsohqddeit.jpg

I'd like to paint the rims so that they look half-way decent, although it may not be possible What can be done? I have no intentions of rechroming them. That's more expense than I'm willing to spend on a regular rider. Do you think I'll have to get all the chrome off the rim before I have a paintable surface? Prime and sand? Body filler? I'm open to suggestions on what to do here.

Also, the previous owner cut the front of the seat off the frame to fit a larger engine on it. Because of that, I'm not sure just how long the seat should be. There is a weld on the top bar of the frame not far in front of there the seat ends now. Does it end there? If so, it shouldn't be hard to repair it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Joe

buckeye

What I did with Rupp rims that were rusted.
I wire wheeled them as clean as I could get them.
Sanded and steel wool to what wasn't chrome.
Bought a Duplicolor Black Chrome kit.
Not perfect by no means. Certainly better than silver paint though.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Your glass beading is plenty enough etching for the paint to stick.

Like Buckeye said, steel wool OR scotch bright the wheels again. the smoother feel, will give you a better paint finish.
Heavy pits, you could body fill if you want to. Light stuff I would not worry about but, that's me.

Paint. well, I don't know how your painting it? Spray can, automotive spray gun ?

The world has come a long way with powder coating. You could probably get a metallic silver put on them for not too much dinero.

Roger

What I did with Rupp rims that were rusted.
I wire wheeled them as clean as I could get them.
Sanded and steel wool to what wasn't chrome.
Bought a Duplicolor Black Chrome kit.
Not perfect by no means. Certainly better than silver paint though.
I like this. I watched a few youtube videos. I think I'll give it a shot. If it works nicely on the wheels I may do all the chrome with it.
Thanks,
Joe

Your glass beading is plenty enough etching for the paint to stick.

Like Buckeye said, steel wool OR scotch bright the wheels again. the smoother feel, will give you a better paint finish.
Heavy pits, you could body fill if you want to. Light stuff I would not worry about but, that's me.

Paint. well, I don't know how your painting it? Spray can, automotive spray gun ?
I have a spray gun, but I'm bad with it. I would likely get the same results with a rattle can. I'm an auto tech, so the mechanical stuff I have no problem with. Body and paint is another story.... :crying: I appreciate the advice. So do you consider pitting in the chrome light or heavy pitting? It's just the chrome that's pitted.

The world has come a long way with powder coating. You could probably get a metallic silver put on them for not too much dinero.

Roger
I may go this route with the frame, tank and fenders. I'd love to do a nice blue metal flake on them...and I'm definitely NOT the guy to do it.

Joe

Last edited:

1stBxMopar

I had a set of wheels that looked like that on my Go Devil build off bike a couple years ago. I didn't want to spend the coin on chrome, plus they were pitted pretty good so they wouldn't have come out that nice anyway. So I just bead blasted the hell outta them, making sure the spokes were nice and clean as well. I then metal etched the rims with POR-15 metal ready, it neutralizes the rust and leaves a nice coating of zinc phosphate for the paint to adhere to. Next, I left the spokes and hub raw and simply masked them off and sprayed the rims with a cheapo chrome in a can...I thought it looked ok for an every day rider...

Before and After...........

Attachments

Last edited:
I then metal etched the rims with POR-15 metal ready, it neutralizes the rust and leaves a nice coating of zinc phosphate for the paint to adhere to. Next, I left the spokes and hub raw and simply masked them off and sprayed the rims with a cheapo chrome in a can.
I used POR-15 on an old hit and miss engine. 17 years later and it still looks OK. Did you also paint the spokes and hub? It does look pretty good. You guys are giving me hope!

Joe