Roma-ish build

I’m not sure what kind of bike this is. A few I showed it to seems to think it’s a Roma. Just got it from a buddy of mine, I’ve never built a minibike before this is my first stab at it. I do however restore vintage bicycles and old school BMX bikes from the 80s. I also do my own powder coating and I think I’m gonna do this one a glitter green color. I’m gonna try to use everything that is existing on the bike That I can’t it’s not too far gone with rust. And when I get more money I’ll buy different parts later maybe. Only thing new I’ll probably get will be tires and the seat which I will also try to make myself everything else will be rebuilt and powder coated. I hope by posting this on here it’ll help motivate me to get it done sooner.

Attachments

Hey Zumo...welcome to the build off ! Glad to see you here.

Neat project you got there, I'll be watching this one.

There's a thread on here in the off topic section about what else do you collect...I'll speak for the group...lol...we'd love to see some pics, of some of your bicycles !

delray

that's a interesting nova frame you have. I have the mustang frame and is almost impossible to find anymore and your frame I still haven't figure out what model it IS? looks like a king corba frame ,but yours comes with a scrub brake only. trying to figure out if that also had springs mounted on the rear. I see below the eyelets welded on , are they factory or someone welded them on later? either way very interesting bike frame to have. here is little more brochure info that I have for you to look at.
[/url
]
[/url
]
[/url
]
i do have a picture of another members bike that does have the same frame design as yours and scrub brake too.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Yeah those eyelets on the back are puzzling. Are the for fenders or seat springs? Or added later? Who’s knows I’ll leave them for now. The wheels are mismatched but I’m still gonna use them. It has a B&S engine but I don’t know the hp, maybe 3hp. I’m trying to find a gasket kit or rebuild kit for it.

Attachments

So I got the frame & fork In the hands of my skilled metal worker neighbor buddy and the fork is a little worse than we thought but totally repairable. It would appear that the bottom triple tree was not welded in the proper position. He ground off the welds and is fixing it. He will also straighten the bent side.

Attachments

Another update on frame and fork work. Everything blasted. Repaired bent fork and incorrect plate position in fork fixed. "Fork stop" added so forks wont hit frame and damage finish or dent frame. Kickstand added and foot peg mounts straightened and strengthened. Also broke the wheels down to find out rear wheel has a LOT of cracks, I'll use it for now but I am looking for match of the front wheel. IMG_0883[1].JPG IMG_0886[1].JPG IMG_0916[1].JPG IMG_0918[1].JPG

Sooo I did a thing. After tearing down the old engine and realizing the carb and gas tank(see pic) was hosed, I was on the hunt for a replacement carb and tank. I found some high priced NOS stuff and even higher used stuff that I just couldn’t pull the trigger on them. Then I searched the craigslist. BAM! A running clean B&S and according to the serial number is a 1963 model! Yeah its another 2hp but it soooo clean I couldn’t pass it up. I’m still going to build up the other one but can take my time now. 19680D7F-5489-41C1-A6AD-383FEC72DF83.jpeg
060B52C3-1244-43CE-B1C1-F7F06B62038F.jpeg
39162261-9EAD-4403-908A-389F27066394.jpeg
41E1E4F2-D5FE-427B-A57F-96BA3F1A1DCB.jpeg

Update: The clutch I got from Go Power Sports was a bolt on style and the "new to me" engine I got did not have a threaded shaft so I enlisted the help of my neighborhood machinist and he helped by drilling and tapping a new hole for me. With a few shims it works out nicely. I was also able to drill some holes for my handle bar mounts. Once the bars were installed I am able to start working with the throttle. I powder coated the front springs and cup as well as the rear sprocket with a chrome powder and clear coat. Not perfect but good enough. I got some axle shims made for the rear wheel and got it mounted and aligned to get the chain mounted. I need a #35 chain breaker because i'd rather not beat and hack on my $25+ chain.

Next update hopefully I will be able to get the throttle setup and get it read for a test right. I'll have to mock up a temporary seat to sit on. Once I get it ridable I work out the bugs and break it down and powder coat the frame and some other small parts.
IMG_1385[1].JPG

Attachments

delray

looking good,nice see your putting some life back into the old minibike and not going the easy way out with a clone motor...…….:scooter: