Rookie seeking help with clone engine

I just picked up an engine that says baja 196cc. I'm wondering what exactly I have. I keep seeing different color clones and what not. I'm wanting to start racing and it seemed like a good deal on the engine (free). So I'm also wanting some suggestions to carb, cam, rod, flywheel, valve spring set etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jimmy.

Last edited:

trinik7597

Hey Jimmy , welcome to OldMiniBikes what you have is a 196cc Honda gx200 clone .. But it more than likely has a lighting coil / flywheel on it . but all the Honda/clone parts fit

So get a new flywheel? I've been reading that I need a new one and a billet rod when I remove the governor. There's also a huge selection of cams. What is a good beginner cam that's going to allow me to get the feel for things before I start stepping up into the higher dollar cams? I've also been reading about tillotson carb. Is that recommended with me being so new?

trinik7597

Its not a hemi !! If you are removing the gov. Yes you will need a flywheel and rod . but do yourself a favor and pull the head and see what the bore looks like .. Before you even consider throwing money at it

Its not a hemi !! If you are removing the gov. Yes you will need a flywheel and rod . but do yourself a favor and pull the head and see what the bore looks like .. Before you even consider throwing money at it
I would imagine it's clean. The guy I got it from barely ran the thing. I will look after work though.