ROTAX 185 cc, 2-cycle 9HP Engine from Wajax "Pacific Pumper Mark 3" Fire-Fighting Rig

Bunny, I have that same carb on a Mac saw motor and I got a rebuild kit for it at our local small engine shop for like $7.00 :thumbsup: The only thing it didn't have was a new stone filter :doah: I just cleaned the old one with carb cleaner :thumbsup: If you cant find one I would be happy to get you one and mail it to you:thumbsup:

Bunny, I have that same carb on a Mac saw motor and I got a rebuild kit for it at our local small engine shop for like $7.00 :thumbsup: The only thing it didn't have was a new stone filter :doah: I just cleaned the old one with carb cleaner :thumbsup: If you cant find one I would be happy to get you one and mail it to you:thumbsup:
OK, great-thanks so much! I have seen them online but for much more, that is a great price. I would gladly take two, if you don't mind. Let me know how you want me to pay you and I can add extra for shipping and gas money--let me know, no rush either whenever you get to it is fine. :thumbsup:

I actually picked up an additional carb (same kind) and hope to get at least one going right between the two. I hope to get back to this very kewl engine next week sometime, after I get my Taco 22 running and doing a swap meet over the weekend.

I think this Rotax in that Bonanza will be an awesome set up, kinda similar to the Hodaka engine they had as an option.

(62mm x 61mm) 184.23921054000002cc = 11.24297ci

Rotax 185's originally were for Water Pumps and Weed Mowers, some early Skidoo Sleds over seas used them also, some were also used on some Ultralight's, mainly the Lazer and were rated 9.4hp at 5000rpms with a Muffler!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraflight_Lazair

There was also a 163cc Rotax in the early 60's Sleds.

The Rotax 185 with a Good Tuned Pipe and some mild Porting & Polishing and a CR Bump could make 18-22hp at 5000rpms.

A 246 Skidoo Elan/Blizzard Single was 29hp. I want to say the Rotax 185 had a very low CR like 7.0 or 7.5. The Head used sets the CR!

Rotax 185?

Wow, OK. . .thanks for that info! I was worried that vacuum port would leak or something I guess, and also not sure if there were any huge differences between 2 and 4 stroke carbs? Running this Rotax is sounding more and more doable, as I have several extra Tecumseh carbs and they do mesh up to the Rotax carb mount.

I am going to give it a whirl in the next couple of days (once I finish a project on my van I am trying to wrap up) and see what happens. I'll try the stock carb first and if no-go, I can try a known good working Tec 5HP carb.

Two (basic) questions though, is this push-pull thingy on the front a compression release? It seems like it but the knob broke when I tried to push or pull it (the cable seems all stuck)

Also, there is this little yellow lever thingy I'm not sure what it is for....it goes in and out and makes a "chunk" sound when you move it but not sure what it is for?

I am assuming the red button is the shut off for the Bosch magneto but I sure wish I could find ANY kind of literature for this dang thing (I just have a kinda bad scan parts manual) . . ..even a basic operators manual would answer these embarrassingly basic questions.... :001_tongue:
===============================================

What Size Carb was used on this 185?

Was the CR 8.0 or 8.5?