Rotax 247cc

Hey gang,

Here's a goodie I picked up at a garage sale last weekend.

The fellow had a 1966 Super Olympique Bombardier Ski Doo totally in pieces, fortunatly the engine was still complete.

I couldn't resist this beautiful jewel, die cast shroud and all. 2 cycle, 247cc's , double Tillotson carbs and a price tag of $25!! :freakout:

It turns over smoothly, no scars visible on the piston or cylinder when looking through the ports and decent compression.

What little info I could find on this engine, seems the twin carbs is a somewhat rare find, 14hp@5800, a meany back in it's day.

Only trouble I've spotted is, the top carb's throttle shaft is broken just before the progressive link to the bottom carb. Being a machinist since 1970 I'm sure one can be made unless someone has a stash of old Tillotson parts for a HL209a carb.

Don't know what I'm gonna do with this engine, it's 15" tall without the plug, so it's a little too tall for most mini frames.

I'll probably just clean it up, repair the carb and fire it up for grins and giggles. After that, flush it out and put it on display in my living room with the other engines I keep there. (yup, I'm single, no one to yell at me)

Had to laugh at myself, when I was checking it all out, I started looking for the dipstick!! Dumbass! :eek:ut:

Here's the pics

Bob

Thanks for the comments guys :thumbsup:

Thank you for the link, Louie, that will come in very handy!

Rocco, that's one sweet kart, it sure looks inviting!

Rollin2, sorry, the clutch is unmarked and I'm in the dark concerning snowmobile parts.:shrug:

Bob

Bob that carb setup is awsome and something like that on one of the one lung ROTAX engines was made to produce RPM's. I have an old expansion chamber from a racing ski doo oly that would compliment the twin tillotson carb set up you have perfectly.The old ROTAX one lungs have a long racing history.

There are a few examples of the dual carb progressive Linkage.

There was also a HL and HR ( or was it HD ) combination.
Not common though.

People didn't like them.
A lot of effort to keep adjust and tuned correctly for only a modiest imrovement in performance.

That old thumper might look very cool indeed tilted forward in a Baja MB165 frame.

Good luck

Well.......

The more I thought about Newoldstock's suggestion of a Baja MB165, the better I liked it. :thumbsup:

One popped up on CL today for a very nice price and less than 2 hours after it was posted, it was MINE!

Not sure if I can shoehorn this Rotax in there, if so, I'll have to take Roccosbike's suggestion and shop for a Mikuni.

If the Rotax won't fit, I'll have a new home for my new green 10hp Tecumseh.

Here are a few shots

Bob

ELT

I think the twin carburetor set up was a aftermarket add on that didn't amount to a whole lot. A single HD carb would out perform that dual setup. The 247 engine is the old 12/3. twelve point three Hp. They run great with a 28mm slide valve carburetor.

Anything can fit if you have a cutoff wheel, some steel, and a welder. That would be a cool bike with the Rotax in it. A 4cyl just cant hold a candle to the crackle of a two stroke.......plus gotta love that smell. Get to it :grind:!

first of all very cool site guys. I'm a new member and found myself in the exact same situation as PUTTER and i want to know if you ever finished the swap to the massive Rotax engine? Or did you go to the 10 hp Tecumseh? :shrug:

Welcome Dunlop! :smile:

So far, no further action on the bike build.

Hopefully I'll get going on my projects again, soon. My garage has not been too user friendly the last few months! Also, I have a couple other projects to finish up first.

I'm still hummin' and hawwin' about which engine to use.

Tell us about your project, Dunlop, whatcha working on? :thumbsup:

Bob

i know this is an old post, but i just found out that atc 200s front end fits right on the hawg ty frame. the stem diameter and length are perfect and you get front brakes
:thumbsup:

Short gears, high revs & high HP = really quick mini.

Think you could cannibalize a CVT from another sled? That'd be even better. :thumbsup: