Rupp 12" rim job

Been working on a set of new rims for my Rupp. Today, I spent a whole 30 minutes and made a DIY wheel truing stand. Rechromed rims and hubs. New spokes. I have the first rim to within .004". So, do I take a grinder and grind down the spokes where they stick past the nipple? Most of the spokes seem too be about 1/8" too long. 0129161828-01.jpg 0130161157-00.jpg 0130161158-00.jpg

Use a rubber rim strip to cover the spokes and it keeps the inner tube from coming in contact with any sharp or exposed spokes. I had the same issue with mine but the strip seemed to work fine.

I would hand file down the excess spoke and the reason for hand filing is not to cause rough areas with a grinder wheel for the tube to rub on if you miss the spoke tip.....

I had the same problem with the spokes sticking out about the same.. I used a hand grinder with no issues.. You'll be there till doomsday using a hand file.

The spokes I installed, came from Black Widow Motorsports. They tell me the spokes they sell are a little different than the original ones
Rupp used. The original wheels were made in both Spain and Italy in both 24 and 28 spoke models. Both the 24 and 28 wheels had different spokes. The ones Black Widow sells will fit either one. I would imagine the 24 spoke wheels needed long spokes to make up for the longer reach required. If one put the new Black Widow spokes in a 24 spoke rim, they would not have to be ground off.

Itype2slo

Maybe it's a metric thing. I used black widow stainless spokes on both 24 & 28 spoke rims they are long and have to be grinded on both. But still best on the market. :thumbsup: