RUPP 1970 Enduro not a restore but trying to make more MINE.

Hello all I been reading through more of the builds here, well RUPP builds and all I can say is wow. I wish I had the money and skills to make mine look this good. Im first trying to make it complete and run then I'll work on making it nicer, or more MINE, as I said in opening line.

I already purchased many parts to put on it but I dont have a garage or a place to work so I guess most will have to wait but i'll put up pics of how it looked in the ebay auction and maybe mention parts I have picked up or things i'd like to do to mine. Please any information about things I should look at asap please let me know. This is my first RUPP. I've always wanted one.

These are the pics from EBAY listing I bought here in CT.
$_1.JPG $_3 (3).JPG $_3 (6).JPG
$_3 (4).JPG $_3 (5).JPG $_3 (1).JPG
$_3 (7).JPG $_3 (8).JPG $_3.JPG

I have already purchased a few parts starting with a 1971-72 kickstand for the 12 inch rim model, so in future I maybe able to upgrade wheels and now have to purchase another kickstand.

I purchased a universal gas tank off ebay in black, I plan to paint the blue fenders black to match.

also purchased new front springs were cheap on ebay, got bearings also on way from OldMiniBikes warehouse.

Last I bought a torque convertor cover and upper motor mount for said cover. [has hole about size of half dollar in bottom]

Still need a pull starter as you see and to go through carb first and check compression, to see if I should do rings or valve job.

Last edited:
Any recommendation for gearing, im riding a mountain side pretty much really steap trails with lots of rocks or tree roots. Im sure I'll set the torque converter to not go to high right away which will help but gearing would be nice to not have to buy 3 or 4 sprokets to get it right :)would be cool if it does some wheelies but not so much it only wheelies if you get me.

In searching for parts i found a manco thunderbird i believe its called for chesp with a brand new predator212 im picking up in an hourbor so. It needs paint but is cheap. Screenshot_2016-12-17-22-39-02.png

well looks like my tec 5hp is very low on compression forget what was offhand. im not really sure I want to rebuild this snowblower motor, if was original to the rupp Id be more willing to put money in it.

Has anyone tried or fit a predator 420 in a rupp enduro frame, I find few have done the 212. I have a honda 8hp flathead I know wont fit but may fit in my manco frame, if I want to run a predator 212 I'll take the one off the manco I picked up while buying parts for this rupp. would love to fit a 420 and get the electric start working.

Anyone have experience with lifan's 7 hp electric start model on amazon for 199$ liking that price but not see any possible pipe yet, I cant weld to make my own.

Last edited:
I have a Bird T-Bird, similar to your Rupp, 10" wheels. With the Predator 212, 10 tooth clutch and 80 tooth driven, I couldn't keep the front wheel down. Dropped to a 60 tooth and it has plenty of power to haul my 220 pounds around, and will still lift the front wheel if you hammer the throttle while tooling down the road.

Funny I just saw a pair of frames, one a roller, on Craig's List, for next to nothing. I may have to go check them out, build one from two.

Thanks for the reply, post up a new thread if you pick them up. Im loving this site now that I cant ride yet, I can get ideas from others rides

When you start putting more power (more than the stock 4 hp) on a Rupp with a torque converter, you end up with a wheelie machine. Heck, a stock Rupp could do a wheelie. Now you add 6, 8, 10 or more hp... Good luck keeping the front end down. You mentioned the side of a mountain and climbing, my advice, try the 6.5hp Predator 212 you already have first. You may be pleasantly surprised how much power it will have with the torque converter. Try the stock gearing first before you start changing things. Ride it first to see what Must be changed then change it. I know you mentioned no garage to work in, you also mentioned buying a T-Bird, wanting a 420 etc. Where are you going to keep all this stuff?

On the compression test you did. Chances are it has WAY more compression than you think. The engine has a compression release on the cam. You don't get full compression until it is running. For instance. On one of my bikes I have a Briggs Animal engine. Stock it was 10hp, with a different coil/rev limiter, carb jets etc it is 12 hp. When you pull start it you would think your pulling on a 2 hp Briggs. It has almost no resistance and pulls very easy. It also starts very easy... Give it some throttle and you will be sitting on the ground watching the bike scoot away from you. Be careful if you put a 420 on it... Side of a mountain with rocks and roots, wow...
Just my opinions, others will vary.

Danford1

Thanks for your advice. As for the compression test I used a drill to turn motor, not just the pull starter as my dad mentioned the comp release.

I have 3 sheds, just im in ct with snow on ground none heated garage I should say as workshop :)

fistfullabar

Are those atv shocks on the rear. Looks like my old 450r atv front shocks :)

Whered you get that pipe, or did you make it yourself.
Ct70 knockoff shocks. Went with the biggest one i could find. The pipe was made by me and a friend. It is a uweld kit from OldMiniBikes warehouse for my type engine. Danford is right that is why i have a extended swingarm. Helps keep the power on the ground! Hondas clones and preds will fit but dont i dont like the way they look.

Got a bunch of my parts in this week for my Rupp. still waiting on a few things like fenders and I didn't purchase a seat yet. I'll do that last I think. Think im going to pain the frame blue after all the rupps I see blue looks great to me. I was thinking red but my manco is going to be red so I guess blue frame on the Rupp.

IMG_2048.JPG IMG_2048.JPG

.Got a few more parts this week. Ordered gasline gas filter and gas shutoff. Picked up a few new tools to strip the frame down and im going to pickup some etching primer this week and some paint for when it gets warmer here so I can setup to pain this minibike as well as my manco thunderbird. Was going to go red on this but after seeing the stock red on the manco i'll go red on the manco instead. I'll probly go blue frame on the Rupp. Not 100% sure yet.

Anyone know if this gold colored frame is an original color. this is a 1970 Enduro, My freinds are telling me to keep the frame gold if its stock. I had never seen a gold framed rupp before this one is why im asking. Now im not sure what color to do. Decisions