Rupp 72, 1968 TT-500, Vintage Class, OldMiniBikes Build Off 16'

Rupp 72

Well I'm excited to finally get the chance to enter a build off. It is the perfect opportunity to finish this 68 TT500. The plan is to restore it back to original besides having a few extra pieces chrome plated. The engine will be white, the bike is going to be painted the original red metallic, and everything chrome will be chrome plated!

P.S. I import all of my photos from photobucket because i don't have any photo sharing space left on OldMiniBikes. I hope the size of my images abides by the rules as i don't know how to make them smaller.

Last edited:

Rupp 72

I have more parts coming in the mail tomorrow and am sending some parts out for chrome this week. So today i had to repair a clutch cover that way it will be ready for plating. I have two, one much worse than the other. So today i had a friend who is a welder tig weld the crack between the slots together and then i grinded and buffed it. It is really difficult to do because the metal is very thin, so i figured i would just let someone else do it rather than for me to try to and end up burning more holes in it. It turned out really nice and should be perfect once it is plated.

Before:

After:

Last edited:

Rupp 72

So i bought some parts off a collector last week and i just got them today. I got NOS max-torque clutch internals, clutch drum, 21 tooth sprocket, and one way bearing for a 1968 two speed jackshaft. Also picked up the hard to find TT500 break light switch and a tail light lens. I got a really nice, straight front fender that is going to be sent out for chrome. Lastly, what i am most excited about, i got a pair of NOS General 5.30/4.50-6 tires and tubes. They still have the stubbies on them and none of that ugly chain rash! The have 47 years of dust on them but will clean up real nice.

Rupp 72

The last one turned out great but has a few paint chips because i like to ride it and have fun with it. This one i'm going to make a bit nicer and more of a show bike. Once it's finished i'll probably just leave it alone and pristine. Not that it'll be a trailer queen by any means but i really have no need for another TT500 rider.

Rupp 72

Sent $40 on all chrome fasteners. (besides washers) Real pricey but should be a nice detail to make the bike stand out. Still need to get acorn nuts:doah:

Rupp 72

Man am i fortunate to have such a good couple that do my chrome work! Today i went too meet my chrome guy to have the first batch of parts plated. We were meeting in the middle and i had a easy hour drive... that was until my truck broke down on the side of the road when i was only 20 minutes away from where we was supposed to meet:doah: I had always delt with the guy's wife in the past and her's was the only cell phone number i had. I called her and told her i might not make it today. 20 minutes later while waiting along side of the highway for my dad to come with some toos, a stranger knocks on the window and asks "Are you the minibike man?" I just smiled:smile: We ended up going over all of the work i wanted done and looked over every single part on the side of the interstate... Not at all how i intended for things to go and i still have no idea how he found me. But i couldn't be more fortunate to have such nice people on my side. It's hard to find people to chrome plate minibike parts, it's even harder to find people that will meet you on the side of the interstate to get the parts:laugh: My dad eventually got to me, so then i gave my box of parts to my guy and everything worked out in the end. Just one more minibike story:thumbsup: