Rupp and Other Torque Converter Belts Info

Just wanted to post this for info for anyone who is looking to buy a TC belt or is having issues with one they purchased. Would also like to know if this is even a potential issue?
I just received 3 new Gates 6061 "Sportline" belts that I bought online (as a substitute for the original Comet belt for a Black Widow). I could tell immediately that 1 was wider than the other 2. All 3 were labeled (on the "box") 5/8" wide. The wider 1 was labeled 27 3/8 long, and the other 2 were labeled 27 1/4" long. The wider 1, (which was 1/8" longer) was stamped "Made in USA" on the belt, while the other 2 were stamped "Made in Mexico". I measured the width of the "made in USA" belt and it was .640. The other 2 measured .600 and .571. Now I don't have a lot of experience with TCs, but I would think the thinnest belt would be worn down to a 1/2" wide belt in a short period of time, which may be an issue. I have read many posts about these belts trying to figure out what brand/belt # to use, and noticed some people had good results and others had bad with the same belts, I am guessing the poor quality control I am seeing may have something to do with that.
So, just FYI if you are looking for a belt, you might want to measure a few and pick he one that is closest to the correct width because they do vary some, at least in the Gates brand.

Last edited: