Rupp Bendix rear Brakes

I am having a bit of a hard time tuning my rear brake on a '66 Rupp Continental.

I found the post... and it makes sense.

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/...rum-brake-tune.html?highlight=Drum+Brake+tune

but I seem to also have an alignment issue. The backing plate is skewed a bit and cant seem to get it right as the origional brake spacer wes missing.

Then I found this: Brake Mod 1.jpg

My drum housing is missing the nut! Was this an addition to the brake to make it better?

Also found this: Brake Mod 2.jpg

This one from Allied Leisure shows a spacer.

No mater how I "tune" it it's barely working. Would either of these mods help me to align it better?

Thank you in advance,

Dave

I can't really remember but I think you need a washer/small spacer on the inside. I will look at mine tomorrow and see if it helps me to remember. You can go to the web site "blackwidowmotorsports" and they have all the part diagrams for the Rupps.

You need a spacer of some sort to hold the backing plate square with the axle so the shoes will establish a wear pattern. When the axle is tightened, the backing plate should not move. Any rotation will be prevented by a brake arm or as on a Boonie bike with locating pins that key the backing plate to the axle mount.

Yes, I agree that I need the correct spacer. I was wondering if the nut or spacer welded on to the brake backing plate would help to set the alignment and figure out the length of the spacer. Unfortunatly, the correct spacer in not available any more.