Rupp Black Widow frame on ebay $99

cfh

A mis-described Rupp Black Widow frame was on ebay for $99 (plus $40 shipping). They described it as a 1970 Rupp frame with 10" swing arm. But the serial number is shown, and it is clearly a 1971 Black Widow. The serial number starts with a "1" which means 1971. And the second number is a "2" which means Black Widow. And the rest of the numbers are within the Black Widow serial number grouping (that i have seen.) Also the frame is black, which isn't something you would not expect in 1970 (all frames were painted the same color as the gas tank in 1970 i *think*.) I don't believe there were any black frame Rupps until the 1971 black widow. Then of course in 1972 all frames were black (with the gas tank/rear fender being the bike's color option.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ra...E-with-Swing-Arm-and-Rear-Shocks/273477243786

Last edited:
It's 1970 Rupp frame.
It has a straight bottom edge of engine plate......Note the forward location of the engine mounting holes, and the lip around the bottom of the engine mounting plate.

On a 1971 to 1975 Rupp frame, Rupp dropped the bottom edge of the engine plate. This was done to accommodate a larger rider.
On a 1971 to 1975 Rupp frame there's a rearward location of the engine mounting holes. This brought the engine 1/2" closer to the jackshaft.
This frame was probable a SWINGER sold by Jc Penny.
Swinger S/N also start with 12xxxxxx just like a Black Widow.

Last edited: