Rupp Chopper Restore

MSPTREX

Talking with Markus the Cub had a different style kick stand then the Chopper and the Rascal. So I need one specific to those 2 bikes.

MSPTREX

Couple of updates on build progress. I got the goodyear tires cleaned up and ready to be mounted. I feel lucky I was able to find these tires. Should look great when mounted on the wheels.

I have not got my wheel halves back from Tennessee yet and getting impatient so I snatched up another set of turbine wheels to get chrome wheel halves off of them. They where pretty rusted but not nearly as bad as ones I originally had. Soaked them in evaparust for a couple days and cant believe the difference. Monday I sent them to my friend in Arizona to be polished. He has done great work for me in the past at a good price.

Also as suggested by manchester1 I bought some oven cleaner to get all the oil off my new (to me) h25 block. The "Easy Off" brand oven cleaner worked great. Generously soaked the block over night and the next day the paint was peeling off of it haha took it to the power washer and no more oil! Next need to bead blast everything and then can start the rebuild and repaint since all my NOS Tecumseh parts showed up!

Still hoping frame is done by next week and once wheel halves are back from polishing I can make it a roller!

Attachments

MSPTREX

Picked up the bike from being coated last night. This color is bright and looks really good on the bike. This is "Chevrolet Orange" from Powder by the Pound. I emailed them before choosing a shade of orange and they said this color is almost an exact match to grabber orange.

Also while I was picking up the bike he let me use his blast cabinet to get the H25 Tecumseh all cleaned up. Paint for the motor will be here next week and I have most of the parts needed for the motor rebuild.

In the next week or 2 I will get carburetor all tore apart and into the ultrasonic cleaner to make like new again, lap in the valves, hone the cylinder, and prep it for paint after new parts are installed.

And as always the seat that manchester1 made for me fits and looks amazing! Really will help set off the bike when all finished.

Attachments

Looking good! The powder coat turned out great!
Picked up the bike from being coated last night. This color is bright and looks really good on the bike. This is "Chevrolet Orange" from Powder by the Pound. I emailed them before choosing a shade of orange and they said this color is almost an exact match to grabber orange.

Also while I was picking up the bike he let me use his blast cabinet to get the H25 Tecumseh all cleaned up. Paint for the motor will be here next week and I have most of the parts needed for the motor rebuild.

In the next week or 2 I will get carburetor all tore apart and into the ultrasonic cleaner to make like new again, lap in the valves, hone the cylinder, and prep it for paint after new parts are installed.

And as always the seat that manchester1 made for me fits and looks amazing! Really will help set off the bike when all finished.
Congratulations on your find, that Chopper looks great. Noticed in your post that you had a fiberglass repop for your chainguard. Having my own Chopper project, wondering if you might be able to tell me where to get the fiberglass one or sell me yours when you find a real one. Got a call from a member who has an NOS and a used Chopper chain guard but I just can't see the 260 or $400 that it takes for those.. of course I appreciate that they were offered to me at all. Happy to pass along that information with phone number for purchase if you need them. How much does it cost for a repop and where can I get one? I used 20181111_160300.jpg the kickstand off and old Bonanza minibike and it seems to work great. Thank you in advance. Mark

MSPTREX

Congratulations on your find, that Chopper looks great. Noticed in your post that you had a fiberglass repop for your chainguard. Having my own Chopper project, wondering if you might be able to tell me where to get the fiberglass one or sell me yours when you find a real one. Got a call from a member who has an NOS and a used Chopper chain guard but I just can't see the 260 or $400 that it takes for those.. of course I appreciate that they were offered to me at all. Happy to pass along that information with phone number for purchase if you need them. How much does it cost for a repop and where can I get one? I used View attachment 236253 the kickstand off and old Bonanza minibike and it seems to work great. Thank you in advance. Mark
Thanks for the kind words. Sent you a message.

MSPTREX

Well I should update this post. Been lots of waiting on my end for parts to be finished and to find a warm place to get motor painted. But after a couple months of waiting the project has moved forward.

Recently just got the motor painted at a friends shop. Before the paint I rebuilt the entire engine using NOS tecumseh parts. Piston, rod, gaskets, carb rebuild, points rebuild, seals, etc all NOS parts.

Attachments

MSPTREX

Just about a week ago I finally got motor painted assembled. I am happy with the results and the decal kit from minibikepaul was icing on the cake. Just need a few more things to button up the motor like throttle return spring on the factory linkage, fuel line, rivet identification plate back on, and set up throttle linkage.

Attachments

MSPTREX

And long story short back in September I posted pictures of the wheels after I had soaked them in Evaparust and got them looking alot better. After that sent them to a friend in Phoenix (Kens Polishing) to have him make them look new again.

Unfortunately since wheel halves where originally plated he could not polish them and get a consistent color on all 3 halves, not to mention will have no rust protection. So he cleaned them up real good, got rid of alot of the pitting, and sent them back to me.

Next, a last ditch effort was to find a place to plate them like they were originally. I finally found a place and should have them back from Lincoln Industries at end of week or beginning of next. Pretty excited to see these things on the bike. Here is one pic after I got them back from the polisher. 20181019_230418.jpg

MSPTREX

Well things are going together pretty good now. Got my wheel halves back from being plated. They are not perfect but they did turn out very good. Here is a few pics of them and assembly with the OG goodyear tires.

With just the wheels on the bike it looks awesome. These turbine wheels sure look good all burnished and plated. Another shout out to Cambo61 for the great burnishing and Lincoln Industries for the plating.

Attachments