Rupp Chopper Restore

MSPTREX

Just need to add Rupp sticker to pull start, rivet the identification number on the motor, and find an original kickstand plus clutch cover. Have a lead on a clutch cover but not much luck on a kickstand yet. Had fun building this one. FB_IMG_1544295740951.jpg FB_IMG_1544295751758.jpg

MSPTREX

Have a pretty exciting update. Thanks to member gammatg I have aquired an original clutch cover and kickstand for the chopper. I had to pay a bit for them but I feel fortunate to have the chance to buy them let alone own them and install on my bike.

Member phxminiguy52 actually had reached out to me first before gammatg contacted me and mentioned he had them. But before I got around to contacting him, he contacted me and was happy to help me get the parts I have been looking for, for almost a year.

I since have sold my repop clutch cover to phxminiguy52 so he can finish a project he is working on because the originals are pretty pricey. Here is a few pictures of the repop cover I sold to phxminiguy52, as well as some of the original cover I have been lucky to enough to purchase.

Attachments

MSPTREX

Was pretty excited to get the new parts on the bike so I finished it up a few nights ago. Shout out to Manchester1 for sending me a black rubber cover for my brake lever. It looks great with the hunt wilde foot peg covers.

I looked everywhere for my pop rivet gun but could not find it anywhere. Finally gave in and bought a new one so I could get the identification badge riveted on the pull start cover.

Took a little work to get the kickstand and clutch cover to work together and fit correctly. I had to move the motor back almost all the way on the motor mount which caused the air filter housing to hit the tire. The filter housing adapter is offset to one side so I just simply unbolted it and flipped it around so it was higher giving me more clearance. With the motor slide back the rear bolt hole on the clutch cover now could be bolted up and the kickstand could sit in the slot on the motor mount like it should.

Wow, I could believe how much just a clutch cover can change the look of a bike. Super happy with how has turned out. I am up in the air on what stickers to add and if I want to get the clutch cover replated or leave it as it is. Now the kickstand is installed I know why they are specific to choppers and rascals.

All that's left is buying some shorter bolts to mount the clutch cover, think about what stickers I want to use, and deciding on getting clutch cover replated. In the spring time I will bump this post with pictures in the sun and maybe even I ride video. 20181215_233617.jpg

Attachments

The bike looks beautiful Kyle. So nice to see a vintage restoration. Its funny you say that about the air cleaner. A restoration I was doing I had the same problem with not fitting and then when I flipped the air cleaner, everything was fine. Definitely had me confused why it wasn't fitting properly. lol.

Was pretty excited to get the new parts on the bike so I finished it up a few nights ago. Shout out to Manchester1 for sending me a black rubber cover for my brake lever. It looks great with the hunt wilde foot peg covers.

I looked everywhere for my pop rivet gun but could not find it anywhere. Finally gave in and bought a new one so I could get the identification badge riveted on the pull start cover.

Took a little work to get the kickstand and clutch cover to work together and fit correctly. I had to move the motor back almost all the way on the motor mount which caused the air filter housing to hit the tire. The filter housing adapter is offset to one side so I just simply unbolted it and flipped it around so it was higher giving me more clearance. With the motor slide back the rear bolt hole on the clutch cover now could be bolted up and the kickstand could sit in the slot on the motor mount like it should.

Wow, I could believe how much just a clutch cover can change the look of a bike. Super happy with how has turned out. I am up in the air on what stickers to add and if I want to get the clutch cover replated or leave it as it is. Now the kickstand is installed I know why they are specific to choppers and rascals.

All that's left is buying some shorter bolts to mount the clutch cover, think about what stickers I want to use, and deciding on getting clutch cover replated. In the spring time I will bump this post with pictures in the sun and maybe even I ride video. View attachment 237310
Great job on the chopper build! I have to admit knowing very little about this model in spite of being a 58 year old lifelong Rupp fan. I clearly see Dart cycle DNA in the frame. What years were they built?

markus

came out very nice!!!! Glad you found the right kickstand finally! It actually looks like they added a bend off the more standard longer one they made in '69. I am planning to make a few of the early continental era size stands my next kickstand run since I haven't done any in a few years. which is what was used on the earlier bikes like I had (econocycle and cub models) and see if you wanted to try one since you were so close to completion. But I still think something might not have meshed with Rupp totally redesigning engine mount plates and kickstands in 1969.

@rokonman you are correct about the Dart cycle roots, Rupp actually started to offer that bike in literature in 1965 (at that time called econocycle with a 220 model number) and was offered as a Kit frame or complete. The frame design stayed pretty much the same right up to the last version in 1971 with only very slight changes to keep up with production changes across the lineup, but the frame shape stayed the same. Its pretty much a Dart cycle at heart, so much so that the earliest one I have ever seen even had the Dart cycle fork plates on it....which did not show up in the first sales literature in '65 so I think this was one of the firsts and probably built off Dart design jigs and leftover frame pieces as the dart bikes were nixed in 1964. Sears was still selling Darts that year, but Rupp seemed to focus their bike efforts on the continental line of bikes

(front wheel is incorrect, its from a 1969, back wheel though is the wheel style they used in 1964 on the first continental, but did go to the turbine gran prix wheels style in 1965), this bike was/is another members years ago:

They even used a seat based off the Dart style (only shorter) till 1968 (ones I had a few years back):

I was toying with creating a Dart-ish custom with this frame since I had the engine already, was even getting some measurements from some other members for the jackshaft plates that stepped the frame, but chickened out and just fixed most of the issues this frame had for someone to use as a solid starting base.....but just imagine the rear shortened up 2" with jackshaft plates making up the space. right behind the engine plates as a start ;)

came out very nice!!!! Glad you found the right kickstand finally! It actually looks like they added a bend off the more standard longer one they made in '69. I am planning to make a few of the early continental era size stands my next kickstand run since I haven't done any in a few years. which is what was used on the earlier bikes like I had (econocycle and cub models) and see if you wanted to try one since you were so close to completion. But I still think something might not have meshed with Rupp totally redesigning engine mount plates and kickstands in 1969.

@rokonman you are correct about the Dart cycle roots, Rupp actually started to offer that bike in literature in 1965 (at that time called econocycle with a 220 model number) and was offered as a Kit frame or complete. The frame design stayed pretty much the same right up to the last version in 1971 with only very slight changes to keep up with production changes across the lineup, but the frame shape stayed the same. Its pretty much a Dart cycle at heart, so much so that the earliest one I have ever seen even had the Dart cycle fork plates on it....which did not show up in the first sales literature in '65 so I think this was one of the firsts and probably built off Dart design jigs and leftover frame pieces as the dart bikes were nixed in 1964. Sears was still selling Darts that year, but Rupp seemed to focus their bike efforts on the continental line of bikes

(front wheel is incorrect, its from a 1969, back wheel though is the wheel style they used in 1964 on the first continental, but did go to the turbine gran prix wheels style in 1965), this bike was/is another members years ago:

They even used a seat based off the Dart style (only shorter) till 1968 (ones I had a few years back):

I was toying with creating a Dart-ish custom with this frame since I had the engine already, was even getting some measurements from some other members for the jackshaft plates that stepped the frame, but chickened out and just fixed most of the issues this frame had for someone to use as a solid starting base.....but just imagine the rear shortened up 2" with jackshaft plates making up the space. right behind the engine plates as a start ;)

Thanks for a much needed history lesson on this great model. Any ideas on a kickstand for my Dart?

markus

Thanks for a much needed history lesson on this great model. Any ideas on a kickstand for my Dart?
Unfortunately no. They mounted upside down, compared to commonly fitted stands that the MB companies would use, I would imagine that its something rupp modified off an existing stand in house by either making an entirely new Hinge/base, or cutting, flipping, and adding a flat mount plate to it, I've never seen an original up close and personal to know for sure. Member scottesy out in CA, if hes still around, may be able to at least give you a little insight to that.

MSPTREX

Kool info Markus. Not until I got one in my hands did I know what you ment about them being different from the rest like we talked about in private messages.

MSPTREX

Little update on this bike. Decided to haul this thing to windber with me and put it in the show. Tossed the clutch cover in Evaparust for 24hrs to get rid of some of the surface rust. There is some deep scratches that wont polish out but you can only see them up close although really stand out in pictures. I'll post before and after pics of cover.

Unfortunately went to garage this morning and the bike fell over somehow. Put some chips in the tank and scraped off the 2 on the tecumseh decal. Of course it would happen right before I am getting ready to leave. Wont have time to get a new decal before the show but should be able to touch up the paint on the tank.

Attachments

MSPTREX

As promised here is some pics in the sun. Got the tank chips touched up good enough for now and a new tank decal ordered from minibikepaul. May pull tank off later and repaint it as well as get the clutch cover replated. I installed the correct sticker over the clutch on the cover (I have an extra if I replate the cover) and I also have the sticker that says chopper that goes on the cover too but will wait until I replate to install that one. Wish me luck at the windber show. 20190607_193810.jpg 20190608_191545.jpg

Attachments