Rupp Dart, what are they worth?

Hey guys, I finished my mini bike project, so it's time to sell it and get on to the next project. For those of you with first-hand knowledge of their worth, could you take a look at my thread? The link below is to page 8, where the most recent pics and info are located, scroll down...

My Rupp build thread...

I'm not looking to make a mint, just want to get a fair price. Thanks for your time.

Craig

Not to bust your balls...but I paid 215 for one that had most the original parts for a roller....with the same Honda motor on it. The other roller I paid 80 bucks for or something (both have original rims, brakes, tires). So lets cut to the chase..what were you offered?

Last edited:
Site rules prohibit appraisals. Nobody here wants set prices for minibikes, the hobby already suffers from sellers with moon rock dreams when all they really have is a common stone.

As stated above, no appraisals. The bike looks cool. But unfortunately to a purest who wants a Rupp Dart, the frame and forks would be the only thing they would want. Everything else you did to it would probably be set in the trash pile. So most offers here will be just for the frame and forks. Put it on ebay and let the bidders decide its value.

Ding Ding

I am more partial to stock bikes, but I can dig the look you created for this bike. I like the chains wrapped around the canteen and some of the other custom touches it has.

You really just need to figure out how much YOU would like to get out of it and list it for sale. It's okay to start high as you can always come down. Eventually, you will have a good idea what it is worth and possibly a sale. Good luck.

Last edited:
There is an event here called "Back to the 50's" which is basically an old car show that draws 50,000 cars from all over North America. Some of the most popular cars are called Rat Rods which are a mix-match of parts that look like they would be from Road Warrior movies. Your minibike reminds me of one of those cars and would probably be a great place to sell it.

There is an event here called "Back to the 50's" which is basically an old car show that draws 50,000 cars from all over North America. Some of the most popular cars are called Rat Rods which are a mix-match of parts that look like they would be from Road Warrior movies. Your minibike reminds me of one of those cars and would probably be a great place to sell it.
We just saw a flyer from the Minnesota Street Rod Associate and talked about that show at our last club meeting. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies guys. Those hard truths are exactly what I needed to hear. Apologies for not knowing that there was a rule against appraisals. Based on your replies, I think the offer I received is more than fair, but will not discuss price. As I originally stated, I am not looking to wring a bunch of money out of this, just wanted a fair price for my "common stone". ;) Thanks from Craig

Back to the 50's does not draw 50,000 entries and rat rods are laughed at there.

I wondered about that figure . Maybe 50,000 ppl go thru the show ? And I totally agree that purest at shows do not like the Rat Rod movement at all.

I too am a dis-liker of the Rat Rod genre. Mainly because it has become so overdone, and is far removed from its roots, that it's sad. It's guys with old cars, that have bought a bunch of old, unrelated items from an antique chotskies shop, and have bolted that stuff all over their car. Like the car is a rolling museum of old crap. This is not what a rat rod should be, and they deserve to be laughed at. I really didn't set out to build a rat bike, I was more about repurposing things I had around, to serve a new purpose on the bike. Nothing was bolted on for display or appearance. I do think it ended up "rat"-ish, but not like so many are doing rat today.

Back to the 50's does not draw 50,000 entries and rat rods are laughed at there.
I wondered about that figure . Maybe 50,000 ppl go thru the show ? And I totally agree that purest at shows do not like the Rat Rod movement at all.
I too am a dis-liker of the Rat Rod genre. Mainly because it has become so overdone, and is far removed from its roots, that it's sad.
HAHA! Same comments I "was" going to write in my post yesterday. I deleted them because I tend to offend people with my terse comments.

We have a lot of shows in this area, with 100's of cars at all of them. 100% of the folks I hang with are car guys from street rods to muscle cars. I don't know anyone who likes "rat rods." They end up in our shows, and we sit around and contemplate how much they saved by not having to do any body work, using cheap paint, and otherwise building a piece of shit.

When reviewing automotive ads, when the title is "rat rod," bike, or car, it generally means "rough looking POS that isn't worth building a real car out of."

Corbin, way to take it- I could tell from your build that you spent a lot of time fabricating the unusual and repurposing. (Chain guard I liked) There is indeed a difference between something someone spent a lot of time on, and someone welding on worthless parts, because they assume everyone else is too dim to see they have no heart and soul.

Yes, I was exaggerating at the # of cars at the show itself. It is 11,000+. But I bet that there is at least another 11,000+ that never go to the show but are driving around the metro area. It makes for a crazy weekend, and I love it.

And yes, I agree, the purists don't like the "Rat Rods". Would you if you spent $75,000-$100,000 on your car and now it's only worth $35,000, then some guy with a rat rod parks next to you and is getting more attention than you?

I also am a bit of a purist, at least when it comes to minibikes:wink:, but I have to say that I do enjoy sitting along Snelling Avenue in my lawn chair on Saturday night watching some of those rat rods drive by. While some are just absolute junk, there are a select few that I would consider art and are very well put together. As they say: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.