Rupp Disc Brake Help

da0023

Does anyone have a pic/drawing on what the return spring looks like & where it mounts on the rear disc brake on a Rupp C-350?

The foot brake activates fine & the pads have good engagement, but you have to manually raise the foot lever to disengage. I dissambled the brake assembly tonight & I dont see any type of return spring.

Thanks in advance,
Drew

markus

I don't think the foot brake assy's ever had a return spring. The only spring I know of in the entire setup is the small spring that slips over the stud and sandwiches between the caliper body and the actuating lever/arm. I didn't find the brake to stick it all like that on the C250 I just got done working on, Those brake arms are in a vulnerable spot under the bike though and the assy gets bent up, mine was all buggered up from getting bashed, once I got it all worked back out and reshaped, refitted and working pretty friction free it was operating really well. (yes my connecting rod is backwards in this photo)

Blackwidowmotorsports.net has a parts explosion for the C500 in the 1968 parts listings that you can see the brake parts in. That's the only place I know of that shows them. The brake lever was introduced on the C500 which came after the 1968 lineup was already introduced and then they started adapting the foot brake to the others so you don't see them in the parts listings for the other bikes. there is probably a supplement/revision sheet that dealers got, but nobody have ever posted one up that I have seen.

Last edited:

markus

Bad ass! thanks for posting that up :thumbsup: BTW Chris, I did make tracings and patterns before I shipped that bike out, I can make the foot lever assembly pretty easy, even bought some materials to do it, need some appropriate rectangle box tubing or something like that to make the brackets out of though.....My A.D.D. kicked in soon as the bike got done and sold on that, but I can get with you at least at lakeland dragstrip if you wanna try a build a couple for your bikes, Dan B, another guy local to us has a couple of brake arm levers that would work still I think.

For what the last couple of foot brake kits sold for on ebay, it may be worth making some up. I decided to keep the hand levers on my bikes. My thought, was I did not want a lever that was not hooked to anything and I wanted to keep both mirrors

markus

For what the last couple of foot brake kits sold for on ebay, it may be worth making some up. I decided to keep the hand levers on my bikes. My thought, was I did not want a lever that was not hooked to anything and I wanted to keep both mirrors
Gotcha, no problem :thumbsup: If I can get some rectangle/box tubing to use for the mount brackets I will, me and Dan are working on setting up a zinc coating setup, If I can figure that out and get parts looking halfway shiny it would be doable, just having those parts chromed though would be more than even what they are selling for NOS :laugh:

Last edited:
Gotcha, no problem :thumbsup: If I can get some rectangle/box tubing to use for the mount brackets I will, me and Dan are working on setting up a zinc coating setup, If I can figure that out and get parts looking halfway shiny it would be doable, just having those parts chromed though would be more than even what they are selling for NOS :laugh:
You are welcome to use my plating set-up if you want. Also there is a place called Alro Metals. on 12th st here in Sarasota, they have any steel you would need.