RUPP Hustler Barn/Garage find

So I'm on Craigslist and I see this ad for a 1971 Rupp Hustler. Pictures were not great and he was asking 1500 Which was crazy. So I give the guy a call and he tells me it's all original never been touched which I found hard to believe cause there were no Hustler decals on the tank. So I ask him to give me the numbers off the Engine. HS40 55355C. Nuff said. He was negotiable on price so I drove the 90 miles this morning to check it out. Turns out the guy is 59 years old and is the original owner. Even gave me the owners manual. Drove it for one summer and parked it. Took off the Hustler decals himself because he didn't like them. Inherited his dads house a year ago and it was still parked in the garage. Tires are flat but have very little wear. Motor is free but carb choke is frozen and I couldnt get the gas cap off..stuck solid. Anyway I've seen enough of these that I know what im looking at and when I saw the seat pan and original seat foam stilll wrapped in plastic I knew I had a winner. After a little haggling it was strapped in my Tacoma on the way back to Western Ma. At less the half of his original asking price I am very happy with the deal. Just not sure what to do with it. Clean it up and leave it as a survivor or full resto... or it would be a good donor on a black widow clone. Probly get it runnning and have fun with it this summer first. First pic is the one from craigslist.

T 00R0R_Ul8jU6FqZ3_600x450.jpg 002.JPG 003.JPG 005.JPG 012.JPG he rest are in my garage

You guys are right. Doc said it best. The more I look at it just a total detailing will get it to 80-90%. Plus it's a great reference for factory fasteners, nuts bolts etc., since it's never been apart. Thanks!

You guys are right. Doc said it best. The more I look at it just a total detailing will get it to 80-90%. Plus it's a great reference for factory fasteners, nuts bolts etc., since it's never been apart. Thanks!
I'm glad you feel that way now. Fully restoring it doesn't make any sense since it doesn't really show very much wear to begin with. Aside from getting some new tank decals, that just needs a freshen up. If you prefer something else, do all that and sell it and buy one to do what you want with. There is somebody out here that would love to have that bike in their collection.

In any case, very nice find and it just goes to show, don't hesitate to check any of the high price ads. You never know when somebody is going to sell it for a great deal less.

I was already blowing it up for the factory nuts and bolts....mine came with them but I tore it apart 2 years ago...hell if I know now....

Started some clean up. Bars, front fender, front wheel, rear shock, and exhuast. Chrome is all gonna be real nice. 45 year old seat cover with no tears is unreal. Bar stop still intact which is rare and why the tank has no dents. Front tire holding air and showing very little wear even on center knobby. All in all gonna be a nice survivor.

N 001.JPG 008.JPG 004.JPG 007.JPG 011.JPG eed to get it running. Original plug no spark and carb in rough shape.