Rupp Hustler

I have had a string of minibikes since I was a kid when I had a Rupp Scrambler. Since then a CT 70 Honda, Bonanza Hodaka, Yamaha JT1, and another Rupp have passed through my hands. I picked up A Rupp Hustler last week minus the engine. Will a HS 50 Tecumseh swap in place of the missing HS40? I'm have trouble locating the HS40. Any other engines swap easily? Thanks!

Jamie1972

No problem. If I can "shoe Horn" this Big Block H50 into my Roadster you can fit a small block in......

Last edited:

markus

the hs50 will be a direct fit, and although the 10"wheeled bikes werent being made when they started to use the squared shrouds like the hs50's, they did use the that shroud/steel flywheel style '73-'76 so it wont even look too "off" on the bike. most of the time the crankshaft on any other engine is going to be shorter than the the standard 3" on a rupp so you should make a little spacer for the driver, and of course the crankshaft needs to be drilled and tapped. I think you also need to use a bolt-on header outlet like the black widow used as they dont have threaded exhaust port.

There are even correct slanted intakes and even some for Dellorto's for the Hs50.

No problem. If I can "shoe Horn" this Big Block H50 into my Roadster you can fit a small block in......
I found a H50 locally and need your advice on exhaust and intake manifold that you used on your Roadster. I take it I have to buy the Black Widow exhaust stub? Will the repro exhaust then fit the frame on the H50 swap? Does the HS slanted Rupp intake manifold fit the H50? Thanks for your help. James

Jamie1972

I must say it was no easy task putting the H50 big block into the Roadster 2......

The biggest problem with fitting it into the frame is that the center of the engine is off to one side..(The engine is not centered on the engine mount pad when bolted to the factory hole pattern.) Intern causes the weight to be more on one side of the bike..And will not be balanced. Unless you can live with it?? your gonna wanna center it.

I am not sure if the angle intakes of the hs40 engines work on the H50?? I dont think they do. There is a guy on here that i think still sells custom made angle intake manifolds for your application. (Hopefully someone will chime in with his name)

(PM me your email addy. and ill send you pictures tomorrow of my build)

Jamie1972

prob. better off with the direct fit of a HS40 or 50 engine. You'll be doing a lot less of this...:mad2::mad2::mad2:
And more of this :scooter:....

prob. better off with the direct fit of a HS40 or 50 engine. You'll be doing a lot less of this...:mad2::mad2::mad2:
And more of this :scooter:....
Predator is a direct fit, you just need to make a custom exhaust, a guard bracket and get a different bolt to hold the torque converter on.

Definately more annoying that a perfect running hs40/50, if you can find one of them that starts and runs I'd do it that way.

For me the less frustrating option was to get an engine that is new and starts every time than to rebuild a worn out HS40.

It is getting hard to track HS motors down around here. Thanks to a good friend who scavenged this off his father inlaws's scrap pile and dropped it off at his parent's house near where I live, I have a start. Now to buy an intake manifold and exhaust pipe. I picked up a repro belt cover and original brackets up on feebay. Plans are to get it running and then take it apart to make it pretty and ride it.