Rupp Jackshaft slides a little back and forth

I have a 71 Roadster 2. The jack shft slides about 1/8-3/16 from side to side. Are the bearings shot? I would post a video but do not know how. I not sure how to repair this problem. I have not replaced or worked on a jackshaft yet. Any advice would be appriecated. thanks!

Not sure if I’m reading the serial tag right but I believe this would be the 2770 roadster 2 made in 1971. It’s pretty much all original. It seems that it’s has never been taken apart. Sad thing is the TC flange sawed it’s way through the torque converter flange sawed through the TC cover. That’s when I realized something was wrong. The belt actually slipped off when I was coasting down a hill. I slipped it back on. When I got home I saw that the cover had a circle cut through and it was 100% through about 1/4 of the circle.

markus

I responded to your question you sent me via ebay about taking it apart. This was something I did on a 1970 I refreshed awhile back that may give you some ideas if its still sloppy after bearing replacement. I took some excess slop out of the assembly with a shim, dont want the assembly too tight though dont want any binding or drag.

Putting it back together I found the jackshaft seemed to have a little slop between the bearing retianers. It actually looked like they either messed up the weld or did it on purpose at the factory on one side of the tube that the assy fits into on the frame to help fix the slop. After everythign was cleaned and bearing replaced with new I still had the slop. So I took the old retainer clip off the old bearing on the driven side and slipped it onto the new bearing right behind the retainers on them to make a shim, it was a perfect fit, and the gap now on the extra retainer ring was a great fit with the factory puddle weld and kinda keeps it in place.

I responded to your question you sent me via ebay about taking it apart. This was something I did on a 1970 I refreshed awhile back that may give you some ideas if its still sloppy after bearing replacement. I took some excess slop out of the assembly with a shim, dont want the assembly too tight though dont want any binding or drag.
Should I upgrade to a Later jackshaft? The kind with two nuts, one on each side of the jack shaft.

markus

Should I upgrade to a Later jackshaft? The kind with two nuts, one on each side of the jack shaft.
Did you find your original to be damaged when you took it apart? Swapping is going to require a total changeover on the output side of the shaft, guess that would depend on what needs replaced and whats readily available for parts.