Rupp Roadster/Tecumseh carb help needed

Hey there I am getting a Roadster running properly and it runs like a champ in the garage and on smooth roads. It seems as though if i take it on some bouncier dirt lots it doesn't like it and wants to idle only and the throttle floods it out. Also it seems like it only wants to run on half choke, but it runs well on half choke.

capguncowboy

The 70 Roadster used a non slanted intake and a diaphragm carb. They switched to a bowl carb with the slanted intake in 71

Have you adjusted your air mixture ratio screw? If it's only doing it on rough terrain, then the float might have a hole in it, and is filled partly with fluid. It will still float, but not very well. Take it apart and give it a shake. If you hear fluid inside, replace it.

capguncowboy

Those carbs are touchy. They always have a problem:laugh: To save on aggravation, I would just buy a new carb.:thumbsup:
true, unless he's a stickler for the original parts :laugh:

Seriously though, by the time you buy a new float and rebuild kit, you've spent almost as much as a new one would cost

markus

Drop the bowl right on the bike first if you can, or try not to turn the carb upside down or shake it hard when taking it off the bike. If you are worried about paint or anything like that take precautions, It really wont bother original paint but spray paints and stuff like that fuel can damage it pretty easy.

its a 7/16" wrench to break the mainjet free which holds the bowl in place. Reason I say to do this is to see whats on the bottom of the bowl. If there is a alot of sediment/water/debis it will gather there and give you an idea of what's coming down the line out of the tank. I would think that a float that does not float would not cause an issue like this, it would just flood. but little bits of debris or even bad fuel will create havoc like that, get bouncing around and water droplets get sucked up the main, or debris. every time you grab the needle and twist it to try and re-tune you may break it free, think its good, run it again and have the same problem.

Markus is giving good advice (as usual). I'd just drop the bowl and check it on the bike. That's easiest. However, if the float it taking on gas, then you'll have to pull the whole carb anyway. Good luck.

whenever i have problems with tecumseh carbs its almost always because the tiny hole in the bowl screw gets clogged. There are two holes in the side of it one is fairly large and one is tiny a bit up farther in the threads. make sure that is clear with a piece of wire and blow it out and that usually fixes it.