Rupp serial tag removal

Does any one here have any tips on how to remove a Rupp serial number tag to reinstall after painting. Not sure if this is the right place to post this, I am new to this forum. Thanks for any help.

25180B76-11FD-418B-B553-6695564004EA.jpeg

mustangfrank

Does any one here have any tips on how to remove a Rupp serial number tag to reinstall after painting. Not sure if this is the right place to post this, I am new to this forum. Thanks for any help.

View attachment 280793
Your machine qualifies as "US Vintage" so you're good. I've had mixed luck with similar foil automotive decal removal and reinstall with a glue stick type adhesive. Most of Rupp S/N decals I have seen were masked off for repainting. They do sell a reproduction tag in that style, eBay listed I think, if I remember they will print your serial number on it too.

Your machine qualifies as "US Vintage" so you're good. I've had mixed luck with similar foil automotive decal removal and reinstall with a glue stick type adhesive. Most of Rupp S/N decals I have seen were masked off for repainting. They do sell a reproduction tag in that style, eBay listed I think, if I remember they will print your serial number on it too.

Great tip about reproduction tags, I will have a look around. It probably makes the most sense to just work around it. I was however considering sandblasting the frame to remove the rust on the seat pan. Thanks

capguncowboy

Try a heat gun on low setting. sometimes warming up the adhesive will make it pliable and the decal will come up without removing the foil backing. Don't get too close to the decal or you'll burn it up and it'll shrink

I have done what capgun states above^^^^^^ with good success. Go REAL easy on the heat gun- just enough to soften the adhesive while you SLOWLY and GENTLY peel it off with a good set of tweezers or small needle nose pliers. I glued it back down using contact adhesive
Michael

Last edited:
Let's see the rest of your Black Widow!
It is a well used Black Widow. Has been in my family since new, it was my fathers. I am working on it with my kids getting it ready for the third generation of riders. I am torn between full restoration or just freshen it up mechanically and keep the patina/history. All original as far as I can tell, still has the dealer stickers. I have the engine out, I need to get it bored as soon as I locate a oversized piston and ring set.

36E0170E-1BB6-484D-89E0-6CD5D65FECD7.jpeg 70E7FBA9-0B27-4C05-B3D5-1AC20E3C649B.jpeg DB339C61-F185-45F7-B87E-4CB5C1D51596.jpeg

Heat up the underside of the seat pan where the decal is with a heatgun or hair dryer to soften the adhesive to remove decal. Put it on a piece of wax paper. If the kids are going to use it, I would just clean and polish the chrome and paint. It is nice enough to be a great survivor bike. Original only once. Remember "restored" to original is not "original"

mustangfrank

It is a well used Black Widow. Has been in my family since new, it was my fathers. I am working on it with my kids getting it ready for the third generation of riders. I am torn between full restoration or just freshen it up mechanically and keep the patina/history. All original as far as I can tell, still has the dealer stickers. I have the engine out, I need to get it bored as soon as I locate a oversized piston and ring set.

View attachment 280861 View attachment 280862 View attachment 280863
As for the piston and rings...

T12982 TECUMSEH PISTON / RING SET, .020" oversize for HS40 (blackwidowmotorsports.net)

Although the description was updated recently, apparently they have a BO on the rings, contact them for an ETA or get the piston only so you can get the machine work done.

I think it will be an easy decision for me to just clean it up and only replace what is required to get it going again. It would never feel right sandblasting away the history. Has anyone cleaned up an original bike like this? Any suggestions on what to use? Thanks for all the insight, much appreciated. And if my children and I need to scratch the restoration itch I have a couple more lol. Dennis

FFBAF0DF-D0B1-43DB-B964-CED672E7EE2C.jpeg

Harquebus

...It would never feel right sandblasting away the history. Has anyone cleaned up an original bike like this? Any suggestions on what to use?
Halleujah, he has seen the light! :eek:
"It's only original once".

As for cleaning it up, we could discuss this ad infinitum but a gentle wash with car wash detergent made for car paint (e.g. soap and water) for the painted surfaces wouldn't hurt. Lightly polish out the scratches and blemishes {I really like Meguiar's ScratchX} and then wax all painted surfaces to bring the shine back. Polish the chrome, etc.

I wouldn't paint anything either. I've cleaned up a few bikes that looked worse than that and they have come out looking way better than ANY restoration. Original bikes are getting harder to find without someone messing with them. Some people like to spray clear over everything, WTF? Rust isn't supposed to be shiny:D