Rupp TT500 #2!

Rupp 72

I haven't been too active on the forum lately as I have not had any minibike projects to restore and have been busy with other things but now I have a few projects and will be real busy with this one. It's a 1968 Rupp TT500 for those that do not know. I picked it up from another member this past week and plan to restore it to just as it was when it was new. The first TT500 I restored I did in nasau blue so this one is going to be painted one of the other 1968 rupp colors, either a maroon or gold-ish color, haven't decided yet. The bike was pretty complete and original when I picked it up but the front end was pretty beat up. So I swaped the front end off my donar bike and it looks pretty good. The chrome on the tank and rear fender is really good for its age. I'm excited about restoring this one!
20150726_001658.jpg 20150726_002054.jpg

Just my spare frame and parts to use for the restoration, I even have a spare 2 speed jackshaft with the correct clutch from the factory, not the more traditional clutch you see on the reproductions 20150726_002338.jpg

Attachments

delray

nice nate, i was in town yesterday. i should of stop. i was only about 3 blocks from your house.......
big block bikes are really cool........:thumbsup:

I haven't been too active on the forum lately as I have not had any minibike projects to restore
What did you do with that Thomas bike you got from Doug?

nice nate, i was in town yesterday. i should of stop. i was only about 3 blocks from your house.......
big block bikes are really cool........:thumbsup:
Small world, so was I......we were working on the new school project right down the road......Boy oh boy that town is growing fast!

Rupp 72

Thanks everyone!

What did you do with that Thomas bike you got from Doug?

Small world, so was I......we were working on the new school project right down the road......Boy oh boy that town is growing fast!
I still have the Thomas roller from Doug, it's actually in storage right now, but never decided what I wanted to do with that one.

And it remindes me of the time I rode my other TT down the road from work and you spotted me and we ended up meeting up later that day, small world.

The front wheel and front fender came off the parts frame right? Looks like the xl-350. the front fender will not work with the bigger tire that the tt500 had.

Rupp 72

The front wheel and front fender came off the parts frame right? Looks like the xl-350. the front fender will not work with the bigger tire that the tt500 had.
This is correct. The front end is off the parts bike because it was missing the front wheel and fender as well as the head light. So I will be looking for a correct size tire and the corresponding fender.

Rupp 72

Finally got some spark! I picked up a few coils at a local swap meet for 10 bucks. So I swaped a coil, capacitor, and points over to a lighting coil setup. Worked perfectly! 20150803_194630.jpg

Rupp 72

Spent all night grinding off the excess metal plates and welds on the neck:grind: I got it pretty close to what it would be originally. 20150811_234222.jpg

Rupp 72

The bike is in parts now. I did some sandblasting tonight and plan on doing a the rest on Saturday. I'll run the engine through the parts washer too and then bead blast it. After that I'll start polishing the chrome parts, bolts, sprockets and such. image.jpg

Rupp 72

I use an 8in buffing wheel for polishing. It helps to brighten the chrome but the main reason im doing it is it makes a really smooth surface on all the parts that are very pitted, that way I can have them sent out and re-chromed easier and it not be as expensive.

Rupp 72

I got a lot of sandblasting done last weekend. Pretty much all of it. I even picked up a couple of parts bikes, spare parts, a couple tanks even. Didn't buy any of it just did some trading. Now if only I could get the last few parts I need...:doah:
20150818_231320.jpg
20150818_231625.jpg