Rupp_It_Up - Mansfield Enduro R/S - (Vintage Class)

Here's a last minute entry for a Rupp/Speedway Enduro. The plan is to use a Rupp frame with a Speedway fork and 14" Speedway wheels. There will be several alterations to make it all fit together including a stretched swingarm and modified fork neck.

Attachments

Cool, looking foward to seeing it....sounds a little bit similar to mine with the 14" wheels and stretched swing arm.

Here's a last minute entry for a Rupp/Speedway Enduro. The plan is to use a Rupp frame with a Speedway fork and 14" Speedway wheels. There will be several alterations to make it all fit together including a stretched swingarm and modified fork neck.

Swing Arm Surgery

To fit a 14" knobby tire I had to stretch the original swing arm. The good news is that now the 14" wheel fits just like the original 12" wheel....The bad news is that I had to chop up two perfectly good Rupp swing arms.

Since this is just a mock up I went into the parts bin to slap everything together. Note the Speedway front fork is in place but it won't fit with bearings in the steering neck. My next surgery will be to cut down the steering neck.

Attachments

Issues, Issues, & more Issues...

Even though the mock up looks like all the Speedway parts fit on the Rupp frame, I can tell you there are issues!

First is the exhaust.
Since I elected to go for the cool Enduro look I lost the ability to use a typical '71 Rupp exhaust. Fortunately, I know a guy that knows a guy and he made some custom exhaust components that will mount similar to a 70 Rupp.

Second is the kickstand.
Since I'm using 14" wheels on a frame that was designed for 12" wheels, guess what? The kickstand isn't tall enough to keep the front wheel off the ground. So now I need to make a new kick stand - sounds easy, right...Well the challenge is to make the kickstand tall enough to keep the front wheel off the ground but not so long that it will interfere with the rear tire when folded up. Finally, since the bike is a bit heavier, I decided to make the kickstand out of 3/8" bar stock instead of the original 5/16" diameter rod.

Third issue: No Steering Stop = Dented Gas Tank
The mounting location for Speedway handlebar u-bolts is further apart than Rupp u-bolts which means I'm gonna get a dented gas tank. The fix is to make new steering stops that mount under the top plate of the triple tree.

Attachments

Side View

The custom exhaust pieces were supplied by Chris Metcalf. He also made a heat shield for the long side pipe (not shown) that will need to be attached when everything gets welded together.

Attachments

Thanks for all the compliments. As for engine mods, I'm planning on keeping it mostly stock except for a 22mm velocity stack on the back of the carb instead of the Tecumseh air filter.