RuppChopperPaul's - "1/2 Ton" Rupp - (Vintage Open)

I tried this last year and I am going to try it again with a much tighter budget.

This time, going cafe racer with the goal of reaching speeds of 50 mph, hence the name "1/2 Ton".

Using a Predator 212cc Hemi engine, 1975 Rupp Roadster frame, 14" Speedway wheels, Coleman Attex tank (from which a tail piece will be modeled after).

More details to come as I dream them up, but I did mock some of my thoughts up in Photoshop...thinking about using an Evel Knievel red, white and blue color scheme.

RuppCafe.jpg

RuppCafeMock.jpg

Haven't given up, but unfortunately being unemployed has presented certain time and financial challenges.

No real work done, only thing I have done is clean up the two swing arms that will become one.

I finally was able to sell some stuff on ebay and on craiglist which required cleaning, prepping, and shipping...so more time spent on other things...but I have most every part I need now.

new-parts.jpg

Santa Tigger was nice enough to pose with my new parts stash which includes...
• 14" Motorcycle/Moped tires
• Rear shocks
• LED Iron Cross tail light
• Pair of bicycle lights and battery packs.
• Super Beetle exhaust tip to be used as my muffler
• Comet torque converter
• Valve springs
• Billet Rod
• Air Filter kit

I am still waiting for a billet flywheel and some gaskets to come in from back order...and I still need a battery pack for my tail light.

Fingers crossed that I will be able to cut some metal this weekend...and get moving.

Don't give up now, lets see some progress :confused:

Last edited:
With almost 100 entries I guess I need to get to work!

Finally actually cut some sheet metal. Shortened the front of the pan, flattened out the seat pan (saving the serial numbers) and took a couple pie shaped pieces out the of the rear to make both front and rear the same width.

Sent the frame/seat pan and swing arm pieces out to be welded...I should get them back in a week.

Sent the rims out to be sandblasted and then powder coated blue.

Playing around with ideas for the torque converter cover on my computer, keeping with my Evel Knievel theme. Its going to be fabricated in aluminum, with some open areas covered with some type of screen or mesh material, I just don't want it to be a solid aluminum piece.

Hopefully get started on the mold for the tail piece this weekend...and that's all I got to report for now.

SeatSide.jpg

SeatPan.jpg

TQcovers.jpg

Last edited:
Received my frame, swing arm, and front fork back from the welder...need to do some mock-up and grinding...then off to be powder coated fire engine red!

A-20170214_142506.jpg

A-20170214_142717.jpg

A-20170214_142654.jpg

A-20170214_142649.jpg

A-20170214_142529.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately no real progress to report...most of my parts are stuck in powder coating hell...been that way for over a month.

Weather has been too crappy to strip/clean/paint...my wife is adverse to me doing that stuff in the house.

I did work on the mold for my tail piece but until I get my frame back I have taken it as far as I can...I still need to move the filler tube area closer to the rear...but again until I have my frame back I am stalled out.

TailMold-sm.jpg

I am hoping to at least have a "roller" for the Old School Mini Bike Show in Royal Oak, Michigan on May 7th...so April will be a busy month for me!

There are a few things I can do...if the weather would just settle down a bit...

Paul

Last edited: